What has changed since January 2009?

by KerryKing 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KerryKing
    KerryKing

Hi, I was df'd in Jan 09. Have not been in touch much with the JWs apart from a few memorials I went to.

What with all the online presence they have nowadays, it just feels like a totally different religion. I have seen them with their tablets and phones at the hall, hardly any physical Bibles or books at all, makes me think how AI (or the Borg) could so easily change words and phrasing in the Bible to suit them without making a big deal of it, like 'a new light' talk or WT article.

Doctrinally has much changed since 2009?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Nothing of any interest or significance has happened in that time unless you are a fully committed JW. You are well away from it KK. After 15 years of freedom I wouldn't give the religion a second thought.

George

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

KERRY KING:

While the religion isn’t worthy of a ‘second thought’, there were major changes in beliefs in the Annual Meeting of 2023.. Some older die-hards are very bothered by this.

For one thing, the religion did away with the hundred year old requirement for regular publishers to count time and submit a slip.. This bothered me because I was judged over this.. Thank God I never listened. They also said something along the lines of how people can repent at the last minute. There were other things I can’t remember at the moment but if you do some digging on here you can find some threads that explain everything more thoroughly.

Oh, last but not least, beards are finally allowed!🙄

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

The GB became the sole representatives of the FDS class in 2012, I've been led to believe. Before that, wasn't it pretty well all the 144,000?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Marvel Studios got its start that year.

It now reigns unchallenged.

😏

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

The epic changes in the 2023 annual meeting illustrates how the Borg is situated itself on a sandlike foundation.

The Borg and it's doctrines are put together with elmers' glue and scotch tape. Resting on a sand base.

• KerryKing
    KerryKing

So there was a coup in 2012 where 8 old men took the reins from the other 143992? 😅

That's quite funny actually, and no one questioned that?!!

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

KerryKing, there was a thread recently on here which linked to a YouTube video that made an assertion something like that. There was a bit of dot connecting to get to that conclusion. Apparently in 2012 there was a CSA court case in Australia where a lawyer mentioned this. The court was trying to establish culpability and liability, i.e. who makes the organisational decisions and gives the orders, and who should we go after financially.

That was my understanding of what happened. Here is the link to the thread, and the video.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5143429722406912/reason-behind-recent-watchtower-changes

I don't know if it was ever phrased that way officially in WT publications but that is surmised to be its effect.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Prior to the Annual Meeting in October 2012, the faithful and discreet slave was believed to consist of all those anointed on earth, collectively known as the remnant. However, at that meeting Stephen Lett discussed Who Really Is the Faithful and Discreet Slave. In the report on that meeting it said :

From 1919 on, there has always been a small group of anointed Christians at the world headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses. They have supervised our worldwide preaching work and have been directly involved in preparing and dispensing spiritual food. In recent years, that group has been closely identified with the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The evidence points to the following conclusion: “The faithful and discreet slave” was appointed over Jesus’ domestics in 1919. That slave is the small, composite group of anointed brothers serving at world headquarters during Christ’s presence who are directly involved in preparing and dispensing spiritual food. When this group work together as the Governing Body, they act as “the faithful and discreet slave.”

See also the video at @ 06:35.

The Watchtower of July 15, 2013 pp.20-25 provided the same information in an article on "Who Really is the Faithful and Discreet Slave". Paragraph 10 reads :

Who, then, is the faithful and discreet slave? In keeping with Jesus’ pattern of feeding many through the hands of a few, that slave is made up of a small group of anointed brothers who are directly involved in preparing and dispensing spiritual food during Christ’s presence. Throughout the last days, the anointed brothers who make up the faithful slave have served together at headquarters. In recent decades, that slave has been closely identified with the Governing Body of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Note, however, that the word “slave” in Jesus’ illustration is singular, indicating that this is a composite slave. The decisions of the Governing Body are thus made collectively.
  • NotFormer
    NotFormer

Thanks for that, Earnest. It's helpful to have actual WT confirmation. Otherwise it looks like mere speculation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit