My Bethwl Experience Part 11

by new boy 11 Replies latest jw experiences

• new boy
    new boy
    • More about cars and N.Y.C.

Back then hundreds of cars were stolen, in the city every day! The New York Post said "The average life span of a Corvette (sports car) parked on the street was 24 hours!"...........One time coming back from R.I at 2:00 a.m. I took a wrong turn in the South Bronx’s.........NOT a place you would want to be in, that time of night. As I was driving around trying to find my way back to the express way, I could see the sparks form the cutting torches, people cutting up the cars they stolen the day before. I was Praying "Please God get me out of here"

We would see the cars that broke down on the Brooklyn Bridge the night before. They were pushed to the end of the off ramp. We would pass them on our way to the factory at 7:45 a.m.........they had no tires...........pass them again going to lunch.............no trunk or doors.............pass them on our way home that night..........no engine or seats............next day, it was just the shell sitting there.

A Brother in my Hall, got a flat tire on the BQE (Brooklyn Queens Express Way) A road, that back then had so many pot holes in it........you would swear it was shelled by mortars......Any way, he gets out of the car and starts jacking up the back end. Just then.........a car pulls up in front of him and 4 black guys jump out and before he could say a word, they start jacking up the front end of his car.........."HEY what are you doing" he asked ............."HEY MOTHER F.....KER!..........YOU GET THE BACK TWO ...........AND WE WILL GET THE FRONT TWO"......they said ........"But this is MY car".......he said .........."yeah?"...they said ......"YES" he said..........10 seconds later they were down the road, looking for more parts. This is a true story.

They didn't always have to work on that Saturday mornings at Bethel. An exBethelite told me that back in the 50’s that some Bethelites jump in their car Friday night after work and tried to drive to Chicago and be back for breakfast by Monday morning. They didn't make it and they crashed their car and three of them died. So Knorr figured that if they had been working, that would have never happen. New light, work on Saturday mornings. That man was a genius.

My soon to be brother in-law Mike Stillman.......had a 1946 orange pickup truck with a camper on the back, made out of old barn wood .........the camper door looked like an old out house door, with a half-moon on the back.....and above the door it said ......."KEEP ON TRUCKING".......Calvin Chyke hauled him into his office one day and told him, that he was a disgrace to the organization and how dare he put on his truck "KEEP ON TRUCKING" He said that EVERYONE knew that REALLY meant KEEP ON F....KING! Oh.........those brothers they just love to have fun with us. There are two types of people in the "Lord's house" the testers and the testis. He never took it off he was in the ink room and bullet proof.

As Bob Dylan said........"Some of us are prisoners.........and some us are guards."

I was walking to the factory one morning in the winter of 1974. I walked by my car and some kids sprayed painted my car with the words "F....k you" on the front fender. I thought......... did they really mean "Keep on Trucking." I laughed to myself, I wished I had painted it on there instead of them.

Oh yes! I waited until someone said something before I took it off....................."But. Brother I didn't put in on there.”...I said...." "WE KNOW THAT, just get it OFF."

God.........I wish you could have seen my car. I have a picture of her somewhere. "Road Warrior part II" I would drive down the FDR..........Radio on, with Elton John on playing "Rocket Man"......It was like parting the Red Sea.......a 1/2 mile ahead of me......... people in their cars would start moving into the other lanes.

They knew someone was coming, who had NOTHING TO LOSE!

As Bob Dylan said....... "When you got nothing......you got nothing to lose."

Two months before my sentence was up. "I was serving a 1 to 4 for impersonating a minister" ....I was walking to the factory one day, my car was parked next to the park. As I passed I notice that someone had taken a ball peen hammer to my wind shield, right were the driver looks out! As I looked down the street, I saw ALL the cars parked, new and old. ALL of them had their wind shields smashed..............then I looked up the hill..............all were smashed.I counted 53 cars with smashed windshields that morning, someone had some fun the night before!

Well, that was the death blow for my baby.They wanted 85 bucks for a new wind shield. There was no way I could put another dollar into that car.............So I drove it up to Rhode Island (180 miles away) one Saturday, with no wind shield it, it was 25 degrees, heater blasting, hoping the cops didn't pull me over. I parked it at my soon to be in-laws house and parted it out........sold the transmission rear end to a friend, keep the engine and tires.......sold the gas tank to Roy Baty, he welded it into his van, because of the gas crisis, now he could buy 35 gallons of gas at a time. In the end, she looked just liked one of those cars at the bottom of the Brooklyn Bridge.......R.I.P. sweetheart. My first real love!

Next up............... Love and sex in the "Big House"

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Love you Keith, thanks for posting up this stuff. As I said before being a machinist and practically living in my shop I can relate to your industrial experience of 'serving' at Bethel !

For you brother :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GAKOLOnfV4

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    new boy your stories are absolutely fantastic! Can't wait for the next one.

JOE ANDERSON!!!! I know you're reading this. WHEN are you going to finally put some of your stories to print?

new boy, PLEASE keep it up. It's therapy.

JOE, I'm begging you. Tell your stories
  • Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

You bet I vote for a book from New Boy !

Joe Anderson as in Barbara's husband ? That would be GREAT ! Would love to hear about all the pluming and trades stories that went on there, screwed up jobs by incompetents and costly reworks. God's house my rear end.

Barbara is a top researcher, I'm sure she could help Joe getting some of his stories into print. I think it's awesome that they post and contribute here, thank you Joe and Barbara !

I also check in all the time on Nestor Kuilan's blog but he's not updating it regularly. That was the golden era of the WT, ah the great upheaval of '80 HISTORIC !

• cofty
    cofty

Will be pressing F5 continuously until you post that!

• cappytan
    cappytan

Just ask Patterson Bethel Night crew about the glow in the dark condoms in the water treatment plant.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thank you for those stories! That was a crazy time in NY.

I went in August 1982. Now that I think about it lots of crazy things happened. But I do remember walking back from the subway late at night, (the bookstudy was in one of the high rise housing buildings), us two girls and two Bethelite boys. There were groups of near-do-well looking kids we were walking past. One group started to follow us on one of those dark, deserted industrial streets. It was the most afraid I have ever been in my LIFE. They let us be, but I was praying like the dickens which I thought then, of course, big Jah had saved us.

Do you remember the Friday night dances? Some club in the city the Bethelites went to? And the basement disco?

Thanks again...great reading!!!

• TheListener
    TheListener
    Great Stories! I am reading them all and loving them. I was there in the 80s/90s. One day when I have nothing to lose I will write my stories too. I don't think they'll be as exciting as yours but still fun to share my memories.
  • JustVisting
    JustVisting
    Love and sex in the "Big House": this...is going to be good!
  • fulano
    fulano
    Who was there in 98-2000? And remembered Jean-Philippe, the french commuter an artist?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit