An army of volunteers and a convoy of trucks and heavy equipment headed to Florida as we speak!

by nowwhat? 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Wow guys… Not fair. I’m sure the Gibbering Buddy Members are making a movie about assisting people when disaster strikes. I’m sure they’re making a video that the Dubs can play at what used to be a house as we speak.

DD

• JWTom
    JWTom

I am actually kind of surprised there has not been some Breaking News posts and request for donations at this point.

I live in the midwest U.S. with about 3 million people. There is an increasing number of areas of our large city that are JW free. Meaning there are no JWs that live there, no congregations, etc. The congregations that have the territory for these areas are not able to even work the territories once per year.

Can't say for sure about the area of Florida that was impacted....but it may be that there are few JWs and few congregations that were directly impacted in a large way.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

There are still a lot of JWs in that part of FL as I review the yellow pages. However, WTC will not be funding any relief efforts. It not their policy to apend money in that manner. As for Franklin Grahams efforts, it was refreshing to see organized religion actually give something back. I won’t question the motives.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

Donation originating from the Watchtower is actually limited when you consider that the majority is actually given by the locals:

• The local elders administer the donations and the work to be done. For instance, identifying where the food needs to be moved at, houses that offer hospitality, making health-checks, etc.
    • The majority of the donations are done on the spot, by local brothers and sisters, for that specific event: Food, clothing, materials, etc.
    • Most, if not, all of the material used for repairs are paid by individual insurances and local donations.
    • All re-build work is 100% volunteered by brothers and sisters.

So, what exactly does the WT donate?

Time: The bethel will be busy in coordinating the elders, directing phone calls to the proper elders, and providing guidance on how to address the overall situation. Considering that the bethelites are primarily paid in food and shelter, let's be generous and say that 50 bethelites are working two weeks each on this situation, that comes to about $60,000.

Material: They will sometimes provide, rent, or even borrow trucks, and fill it up with food that they will indeed purchase, but this is rather rare. They might offer to pay some material to rebuild stuff, but from everything reported through the years, this wouldn't be significant.

Bragging about how they help! Now this is probably the largest expense related to the disaster itself. They will produce promotional content (videos, website, magazines, books, photos) on how the "disaster relief funds" were used to help everyone there. They'll pay for a Governing Body member and some helpers to travel over there. Along with them will be a filming crew and their filming material. The irony is that in said promotional content, they will also take credit for all the local work and donations that have nothing to do with the "disaster relief funds".

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    SL - Bragging about how they help!

This is the main MO of the WBT$.

As always, nothing but false claims.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Watchtower helping to rebuild Florida!?! Ooh , They have more important causes such as that large media centre that they just have to build instead of helping brothers in need. And on their dollar to boot. Very shady!

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Maybe they will build the Media Megalapolas - who knows. In the meantime, they are asking for donations and using it as an excuse for not helping anyone - including the poor folks in Florida. WTC decided 5 years ago that they were not going to give any treasure to disaster victims. Any real help would have to come from the local R&F. Today they don't even try to hide their tight-fistedness. They have no genuine love for the sheep - period, end of story, the end, over and out, goodnight John Boy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit