Judgment Day

by Fisherman 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Clear as mud Smiddy.

So should God JUDGE/punish evil or not?

• Linda14
    Linda14

I would say sins are paid by death. And ransom are also important, but one will only be sure of what reward he will get after judgment.

Meaning that when you die now, that death is not the full pay for your sins because it would be temporary. This is against how the JW understand it. Since one is raised to be judged, it doesn't erase his former sins because he had not actually died eternally. He only gets eternal destruction after being judged. In the same vein, if you are righteous, the temporary life you live now is not the full pay for your righteousness. You get that full pay after judgment.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    pun·ish
    /ˈpəniSH/
    verb
    inflict a penalty or sanction on (someone) as retribution for an offense, especially a transgression of a legal or moral code.
    ret·ri·bu·tion
    /ˌretrəˈbyo͞oSH(ə)n/
    noun
    punishment inflicted on someone as vengeance for a wrong or criminal act.

Revenge is immoral. It can never be just. Therefor vengeance makes any justice system unjust.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

S.B.

If I don`t beleive in a GOD as the Bible / JW describe how could I beleive he/she it , punishes evil ?

• waton
    waton
    Revenge is immoral. It can never be just. Therefor vengeance makes any justice system unjust.

Tbn. without retribution the laws against criminality are just empty words. example:

Think of the law that has a thief pay seven times the value he stole. great idea.

The one who takes somebody else's life has forfeited the right to live.

" it is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living god."

"outside the liars and adulterers, the dogs"

• waton
    waton
    This is against how the JW understand it.

L14, wt writers have now admitted (in latest light) , that judgement will be, because of sins committed in this current life, but do not give the good explanation/reasoning you did. thank you.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Judgment Day

Pure fiction. It's not coming. Nothing will happen. How old are the writings that are used for this?

People are wasting their time on being Bible (or some other 'holy' writing. Pick your poison), 'intellectuals' with constant study over something wishful through rosy coloured glasses.

Judgement day would have come before now. It seems each generation (overlapping or not), thinks 'it' is coming in their life-time. Oh, my. Oh, my. How sad.

There's life out there. Stop wasting time on made up stuff.

Believe what you want, though. In my opinion, it's a massive waste of time.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    Tbn. without retribution the laws against criminality are just empty words. example:
    Think of the law that has a thief pay seven times the value he stole. great idea.

Retribution is vengeance. It intentionally causing another harm. There is never a justification for such action. Protecting the public is one thing. The "eye for an eye" concept causing a world full of blind people.

If someone steals your goat or sheep and the thief no owes you 7 sheep that is not balancing the scales. It doesn't address the "why" of the theft either. If someone is dirt poor and starving to death I doubt they have the means to repay seven-fold. Like all Abrahamic faith concepts this only addresses consequences and ignores the root cause. Remove the root and the plant cannot grow.

A true justice system protects the public while simultaneously addresses the source issues of crime. Instead Abrahamic faith gives us this egocentric system of inflating our egos artificially with concepts like "I am better than that guy because I obey the law" and "that guy is lesser than me because he did break the law." Once again, good and evil are artificial social constructs. This construct is being used justify the harm people inflict on others.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PUNKOFNICE:

I tend to agree with much of what you say.

Theologians have been arguing these things for centuries. Some people today imagine they have a special insight that nobody in the past had.🙄. Some are obsessed and will be arguing this the rest of their lives. I agree with you that there is ‘life out there’ and this is a waste of time.

Whether there is a judgement day or not, I think all any of us can do is be the best person we can be.. What I DON’T believe is that there is ‘salvation’ having anything to do with rituals or repeating prayers or chants over and over, never-ending study of so-called ‘sacred’ writings, abasing yourself, abstinence from whatever (unless it’s criminal behavior and harming others), doing or not doing certain things public or private, going to a certain place, wearing or not wearing a certain type of clothing, eating or not eating certain types of foods, etc. ad nauseam.

Some might insist on believing these things. Let them.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

According to JWs, will Adam be resurrected to judgment, resurrected to glory ... or will he not be resurrected at all?

How about people who died in the flood and those God destroyed in Sodom and Gomorrah?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit