The story of Jonathan and David, is this male bonding or something else?

by James Mixon 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Start at 1 Samuel 18;1-4..Now imagine if this story had been about Jonathan and a woman.

1 Samuel 20:30..Saul calls Jonathan a son of a perverse rebellious woman! The blame for his

behavior goes first to the mother, who was too soft," or too harsh who perverted his son somehow.

1 Samuel 20:41-42.."they kissed each other and wept with each other".

So was it merely deep friendship or a romantic relationship?

2 Samuel 1:23, 26-27...David states the love he shared with Jonathan was greater than what he

had experienced with women.

What do you think?????

I Know Saul was upset because Jonathan warned David about his (Saul) intention, to have

David killed. But  to use the word perverse , what's up with that.

• purrpurr
    purrpurr
    Yeah even when I was in I always thought that was a homosexaul relationship. Of course the WT would never admit that
  • sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

well if thats the case, then whats this scripture indicating....

john 13 23 One of them, the disciple whom Jesus loved, was reclining next to him. 24 Simon Peter motioned to this disciple and said, “Ask him which one he means.” 25 Leaning back against Jesus, he asked him, “Lord, who is it?”

[no name mentioned, lol]

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

1 Samuel 20:41-42.."they kissed each other and wept with each other" - in Arab culture, two men kissing each other usually means a warm platonic relationship, not a homosexual sexual relationship. Those Arabs who are gay need to be careful - it's done behind closed doors. Perhaps the Jews of 'bible times' had a similar culture?

2 Samuel 1:23, 26-27...David states the love he shared with Jonathan was greater than what he had experienced with women - I'm sure we can all agree that Jewish society was misogynistic. May be this statement merely reflects the low status of Jewish women.

• compound complex
    compound complex

I Know Saul was upset because Jonathan warned David about his (Saul) intention, to have

David killed. But to use the word perverse , what's up with that.

Hi James:

I'm not sure if this is your point, but perverse and perverted are different in meaning. Perverse means obstinate or resistant to what's acceptable (like Jonathan's mother, according to Saul). Perverted means deviant regarding sexual behaviors.

CC

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble
    The Biblical Backbroke Mountain...
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

How about 1 Samuel 20:30?

In the NWT spanish version, it alledges that Saul blames Jonathan for choosing David to put himself to shame as well as his mother's natural parts.

Some other english translations I've seen mention "his mother's nakedness". If I recall correctly, the bible condemns "seeing the nakedness" of a relative thru another. Example: the many directions to not uncover the nakedness of your father's wife, for it is your father's nakedness.

Wouldn't Saul be alleging to Jonathan and David having more than a friendly tear?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    I think liberal Bible scholars have suspected something was afoot for a long time, now. :smirk:
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

I must admit today that some of the Arabic countries have a jail house mentality in regards

to homosexuality, the person that is doing the raping is not gay but the person that is being

raped is gay...

Thanks folks for all your comments...

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent
    James Mixon : I must admit today that some of the Arabic countries have a jail house mentality in regards
    to homosexuality, the person that is doing the raping is not gay but the person that is being raped is gay...

Quiet so! The Romans did not think of the active partner (the penetrator) as doing anything wrong. But they did think that the person who was penetrated wasn't quite a man. A thought that can still influence some.

The Wikipedia entry for 'Homosexuality in Ancient Rome' describes the prevailing attitudes in the Roman Empire:

Male couple on an oil lamp
    Same-sex attitudes and behaviors in ancient Rome often differ markedly from those of the contemporary West. Latin lacks words that would precisely translate "homosexual" and "heterosexual".[1] The primary dichotomy of ancient Roman sexuality was active/dominant/masculine and passive/submissive/"feminized". Roman society was patriarchal, and the freeborn male citizen possessed political liberty (libertas) and the right to rule both himself and his household (familia). "Virtue" (virtus) was seen as an active quality through which a man (vir) defined himself. The conquest mentality and "cult of virility" shaped same-sex relations. Roman men were free to enjoy sex with other males without a perceived loss of masculinity or social status, as long as they took the dominant or penetrative role. Acceptable male partners were slaves,prostitutes, and entertainers, whose lifestyle placed them in the nebulous social realm of infamia, excluded from the normal protections accorded a citizen even if they were technically free. Although Roman men in general seem to have preferred youths between the ages of 12 and 20 as sexual partners, freeborn male minors were strictly off-limits, and professional prostitutes and entertainers might be considerably older.[2]

This makes the healing miracle attributed to Jesus in Luke 7; 1-10 of interest to this discussion. As verse 2 says (in the NKJV):

"And a certain centurion’s servant, who was dear to him, was sick and ready to die."

Of course, Jesus is described as healing the boy, which considering that the relationship must have been known, and perhaps can be used to demonstrate that Jesus had a different attitude to gay sex to the masters of the JWs.

Hellenic culture (which had influenced Judah since the mid-fourth century BCE) also saw sex between men as acceptable.

We can never know precisely what happened between the two men we know as 'John the beloved,' and the real (historical) Jesus, we can only say what could have happened (as acceptable among the people of the time). But you can try it out next memorial, take a male friend along and sit next to him with your head on his chest and use the NT description of John and Jesus in your defense at your inevitable trial before the elders.

----------------------

If you'd like to know more about Hellenic attitudes to male to male sex, may I suggest James Davidson's book, The Greeks and Greek Love: A Radical Reappraisal of Homosexuality in Ancient Greece. Davidson is a Professor of Hellenic studies at the UK's, Warwick University.

Image result for the greeks and greek love

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit