My sister has a different view of shunning to my brother-in-law, but he doesn't know

by Xanthippe 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

My library has volunteers who run the local history department. They put up an exhibition last month called Women at War and they asked for photos of people in uniform who aided the war effort in WWll. I offered a photo of my mother in her Red Cross nurse's uniform but then I couldn't find it so I had to write to my sister asking if she had it.

I addressed it to her and her husband explaining why I wanted it and just wrote as if this is family property and I needed it. They did send it and my sister put a note in saying we think this is the one you mean. I was delighted and it was good to see my mother's face every day at work for a month doing something useful for the world before she became a JW. It made me proud.

Then I thought I would like to thank my sister so I used the mobile phone number I've not used since my parents died and sent her a text telling her how good the photo looked enlarged in the exhibition and thanking her. She didn't reply, absolutely nothing and yet in the card she sent with the knowledge of her husband she was fine, even chatty.

This confirms what I've suspected for a while that the reason she makes a point of kissing me and my daughter at funerals and trying to engage me in conversation is it's all for her husband's benefit. I thought it was for the nonJW relatives but they know how she treats us.

Years ago I remember him phoning me offering to mow my lawns when my husband died and I said this is a surprise! He said well his wife, my sister, phones me regularly doesn't she. I told him she doesn't you know, she doesn't keep in touch. He didn't believe me, she's convinced him she contacts me regularly.

It just seems so two-faced to me! Again I wonder if some of these people actually believe in god, who do they think they're fooling. Also why so many different attitudes to shunning? Who is following the correct rule as I'm disassociated, her or him? She has never taken advantage of the family business thing to keep in touch. I'm sure she could if she wanted to.

Anyway rant over, thanks for reading.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

xan - Is your BIL a jobo? It does seem an awful situation to find yourself force into.

It just seems so two-faced to me!

And me.

Again I wonder if some of these people actually believe in god?

Probably in their own weird way. But they act as if their chosen deity is not to be imitated in the way they're supposed to. Their behaviour adds credence to the trope that god is all man made nonsense.

who do they think they're fooling?

Everyone including themselves.

Also why so many different attitudes to shunning?

Because it's not in the bible. It's all man made and open to an idiotic interpretation.

Who is followings the correct rule as I'm disassociated, her or him?

Neither. It's all piffle. However, in Jobo world, they're supposed to shun with bitter, vile hatred. You know, the kind of hatred their GB has for those that don't provide money and luxury for them.

What ever happened to 'christian love' with the WBT$? There is no love in the WBT$.

People are a mistake.

EDIT to add: I'm glad you got your pic and hope the library event was bloomin' top-o.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes he's JW, been a MS for decades.Thanks punky, it did look good.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Xan - I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee.

Yeah. Double standards it is.

Still a bloomin' liberty though. I'd be right hacked off about that too. Maybe he's a bit more awake than he cares to admit.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

2 possibilities

1. he likes you

2. he doesn't care for the shunning thing (partially awake?)

Ah if only there were some sort of test that we could use on others to assess their level of being awake, without potentially sending them running for the hills

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

MrRoboto and Punky maybe he is waking up, I hope so. They both use to moan like crazy about the stuff that went on in their congregation, until we left. Then everything was rosy.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Our family did the same thing! They would moan about all the Elders actions and the orgs actions. Once we “came clean” that we no longer attend, they all just praise the org. Crazy!

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Can't go into details here but I've noticed a similar thought process as well. They don't want to push you further from "the truth" and don't want to be partially responsible for you not wanting to "return to jehovah" later on.

As they awaken more (if that happens) they may start letting their real thoughts slip through now and then, especially if they know how you feel (or have a strong inkling)

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

Xanth I find these differences all the time and I am coming to the conclusion that no two witnesses are the same although the overall belief system may be pretty uniform.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    ruby - no two witnesses are the same

That's a new take on a '2 witness rule(tm)'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit