Conversation with old friend

by LongHairGal 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I recently had a conversation with an old acquaintance from the congregation I used to attend.

We talked about the recent changes in the 2023 annual meeting. I especially pointed out the one about getting rid of hourly reporting on monthly time slips. I mentioned that this was a century old teaching - and that many JWs are poor today because of not getting careers and instead spending years in the ministry.. Of course, I did not follow the crowd and had a full-time job.

My friend tried to make it sound like the religion is now a great place to be and ‘everybody helps each other’ and ‘brings food and assists others…’. I said it sounds like you are expected to give money and things to people, etc. They pretty much agreed.

I said what she does is her business. I explained that I got criticized for working and would be starving if I listened to them. I would not tolerate anybody coming up to me asking for money/aid for people who did not work. What nerve!

So, as I predicted long ago, this is what it has finally come to in the JW religion. This is the outcome after a major foolish policy.. I Hate being right all the time and knew it was absurd that people didn’t work or plan for their future. But, I am super Glad I am not around any of the chaos in that place!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Good wok LHG!

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    We talked about the recent changes in the 2023 annual meeting. I especially pointed out the one about getting rid of hourly reporting on monthly time slips. I mentioned that this was a century old teaching - and that many JWs are poor today because of not getting careers and instead spending years in the ministry.

My uncle ( who was an elder for over 50 years) passed away 10 tens ago at the age of 88. He was baptized in1957 at the age of 31. He convinced his 2 sisters ( one of them was my mom ) that Jehovah's Witnesses had the ''truth''. Our family had over 20 baptized members.

His whole life was dedicated to the Jehovah's Witnesses. He only took jobs that had weekends off, day hours and took unpaid vacations in the summers so he could attend assemblies. Never went on any vacations. Just to Canada and New York for speaking parts at the assemblies. Worked as a custodian most of his life. He was just happy to pay his bills. Drove old cars and never went out to restaurants.

He retired at 65 so he could become a full time Pioneer. Spending over 60 hours a month in ''field service'', non-stop elder meetings, congregation meetings and prep work, and spent loads of money on gas. And what did he get in return for his hard work and dedication to the Watchtower Society...NEVER GOT HIS PROMISE TO THE NEW SYSTEM AND A SLAP IN THE FACE FROM THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY WHEN THEY DECIDED TO GET RID OF MONTHLY REPORTS!

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.

Those posts are so moving when you think of the complete waste of quality time and life these ones could have had.

The heartfelt apology from the governing body about these massive policy changes on reporting time will go a long way to appeasing these lifelong rank and file jw's...

Oh, that's right, they are not going to apologise for any changes they make and they are not sorry for the wasted opportunities and lives their pathetic reporting system has perpetuated... .

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

LongHairGal:

It took guts and determination to do what you did and you are to be commended for it! Three "cheers" for you and your bravery to stand up to them and not allow them to deceive you into pioneering and giving up your jobs.

Grandpa!

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Spoke to an old friend today about the changes. He actually said that "he doesnt care if the GB are right or wrong - they are still Jehovahs chosen mouthpiece".

• Biahi
    Biahi

Joey, that is how many old timers think…right or wrong, makes no sense, whatever, it’s still the truth. 🤷‍♀️

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

The week after the 2nd broadcast from the '23 annual meeting, I was listening to some older (70's) JWs discuss the changes. The husband said 'as long as they don't change the doctrine, I'm OK with it', or something to that effect. I wanted to say, 'But isn't that what they have done, change the doctrine?'. It is remarkable what blinders these people have on.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

THE APOSTLE PAUL'S ORDERS & EXAMPLE

(2 Thessalonians 3:6-15) Now we are giving you instructions, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, to withdraw from every brother who is walking disorderly and not according to the tradition that you received from us.

7 For you yourselves know how you should imitate us, because we did not behave in a disorderly way among you,

8 nor did we eat anyone’s food free. On the contrary, by labor and toil we were working night and day so as not to impose an expensive burden on any one of you.

9 Not that we do not have authority, but we wanted to offer ourselves as an example for you to imitate.

10 In fact, when we were with you, we used to give you this order: “If anyone does not want to work, neither let him eat.”

11 For we hear that some are walking disorderly among you, not working at all, but meddling with what does not concern them.

12 To such people we give the order and exhortation in the Lord Jesus Christ that they should work quietly and eat food they themselves earn.

13 For your part, brothers, do not give up in doing good.

14 But if anyone is not obedient to our word through this letter, keep this one marked and stop associating with him, so that he may become ashamed.

15 And yet do not consider him an enemy, but continue admonishing him as a brother.

(Acts 18:3) and because he had the same trade, he stayed at their home and worked with them, for they were tentmakers by trade.

(Acts 20:34) You yourselves know that these hands have provided for my own needs and the needs of those with me.

(1 Corinthians 4:11, 12) Down to this very hour we continue to hunger and thirst and to be poorly clothed and to be beaten and to be homeless and to toil, working with our own hands.

(1 Thessalonians 2:9) Surely you remember, brothers, our labor and toil. We were working night and day, so that we would not put an expensive burden on any one of you, when we preached the good news of God to you.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

when I was leaving, I told a certain person ( who then ratted me out -which I knew would happen) about all the lies that we had been teaching over the years. They told me they had seen things in the WT they knew wasn't right-but didn't point it out to me because they knew I would make something of it. They told me, they were imperfect men but were running Jehovah's perfect organization. ( people don't realize how stupid that sound)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit