Stories From the Back Room

by xjwsrock 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

(I am still a serving elder. I have no idea how much longer I can stomach it. Timing is terrible for stepping down right now, though. So I play the chess game. At least I can relate some stories from the back room :)

So, in an elder's meeting of the whole body recently, a matter with a married brother (baptized non-attender) came up. He was accused of infidelity by his wife. The accusations flying around this guy sound like a Jerry Springer episode. Drugs, Hookers, run-ins with Police etc.

Well, he admits to nothing and there aren't enough verifiable witnesses for the elders to pin anything on him at this point. It's not like he attends or anything, but the wife has squealed on him. In the real world, a person can just divorce their spouse and move on. In JW world, a person has to jump through hoops to be "scripturally free". So this sister is trying to get her husband busted by the elders so she can then have permission to divorce him. (What is wrong with this picture?)

I sit back there shocked at how these men play "God" in people's lives. I avoid the drama and committee meetings as much as possible. The eager beaver elders usually speak up to chase this crap, so it works out for me.

What baffles me the most, though, is why would this guy even take a call from an elder? He actually took the call, set an appointment, and sat down with two elders - so they could interrogate him! And get this... there is another meeting scheduled with him! ....What?!

People are nuts...

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once
    Obviously he either wants out of the marriage or out of the Craptower.
  • xjwsrock
    xjwsrock
    Well that's what's strange. In the first meeting he denied everything. I don't want to get into too many details, but it's obvious from what has come up that he is totally guilty of cheating. It's not even a question. The only reason there is drama over it is because of the 2 witness rule. He has squeaked by somehow. Lol...
  • DJS
    DJS

xjw,

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This is identical to what we all experienced one or two decades ago. A lot of elders get off on becoming amateur sleuthsand others get off on thinking they are keeping the cong. clean.

Makes me want to projectile vomit.

Of course when your entire org is based on a never ending litany of pharisaical rules, regulations and dogma, all supported either directly or complicity by the Dark Lords, this is exactly what you end up with.

You have my sympathy.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    I guess he met with the elders because, although inactive, he is still indoctrinated and considers them a divinely appointed authority.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

exjwsrock - "...Timing is terrible for stepping down right now, though...."

Fake a nervous breakdown.

(Actually, from the way you describe it, you might not have to fake it. :smirk:)

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

DJS - agree wholeheartedly

Londo - that is the only thing I can come up with. Indoctrination is a bitc@

Vidiot - Lol... I will do whatever I need to when the time is right. This last time I pushed the issue (ttatt) with the wife led to a breakdown and her getting on meds. It is sad that a person's mental health suffers so much from a stupid religion. I am just being careful not too push too hard too fast. In the meantime I'll read Ayn Rand novels in secret :)

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I take my hat off to you been able to do what you do. I thought I could live in both worlds knowing what in know while still been active in JW land. I totally underestimated it. 6 months later and I was gone and I was just a publisher.

I heard of a case (so I could be wrong on a few points) of a sister who had been married before becoming a jw but had never sought a divorce. Anyway a few years later she finds a spiritual brother and decides to get married ( by this time the X-husband has moved on and living with a women). Anyway cut a long story short she had to write a letter to the X-husband asking him if he was having sex, so she could prove adultry. Needless to say I would love to know, What the X-husband thought when he opened the letter.

• millie210
    millie210

I would have drawn enormous comfort from knowing elders with their eyes open were still inside back when I was still in, exjwsrock.

So do what you have to do. I admire you being so concerned about your wifes emotionally stability.

Time is a great equalizer. It can change events so much that we think differently because of nothing but the passing of time. Hopefully this will be so with your wife.

As for the errant sheep above, he probably doesnt want to get DFd because of someone he loves - maybe siblings. parents. friends or so on.

He may be just fine with losing the wife if she is so inclined though, especially if theirs was one of those teen marriages that are so common in the ORg.   

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey
    Great title. I think this should be a new subheading for the site!.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit