Watchtower takes parody poster to court.

by Lost in the fog 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

He’s far nicer on his channel than I would be. If they take him down someone else can duplicate his channel. They can’t stop all of us.

DD

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Parody is protected under copyright law.

The Watchtower is looking to drive the creator of Dubtown into debt. Dubtown's lawyers should demand that the WTB&TS pay defense legal expenses plus a punitive award for intentional infliction of distress.

• vienne
    vienne

I have mixed feelings. yes, parody is protected. It should be, even if we do not like the result. Copyright infringement makes my teeth chip. Live by the rules. My mom's now out of print novel was copied to a torrent download site. That harmed what money she made from the book. It was very difficult to end that problem. Bits of Uncle B's work were copied entire to a Polish blog site. Quoting is okay, allowed by US law at least. Stealing an entire section is not.

Say your piece. Don't like the Watchtower, fine. Live by the rules. There is nothing one can say about the Watchtower, true or false, that would surprise anyone. And personally I do not care what another thinks about them. But live within the legal rules or pay the price.

If the Dubtown creator crossed the line, it is his fault, not the Watchtower's.

I would resent my work being misused. The Watchtower watches carefully for the misuse of their material even by their 'friends.' Just do not cross legal lines, and criticize all you want. We all know what the Watchtower's reaction will be if we cross that line. We shouldn't moan and groan if someone does and suffers the consequences, and we shouldn't be surprised.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

The Org doesn’t like any kind of media that doesn’t sing their praises, or worse, deconstructs their ideology.

• St George of England
    St George of England

What a wonderful way to use "donated funds". The WT Society should be proud. Maybe buy a few more bottles of Macallan to celebrate.

George

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Proof positive that the Watchtower is just a money grubbing big business.

• Overrated
    Overrated

I love Parody. We need it. I hope Watchtower goes nowhere with Dubtown.

This is reason 40 why I don't believe or trust Watchtower. Dubtown is too much for Watchtower (Gee-hober) to handle speaks volumes as to why they would go after anyone for a parody Sounds like Gee-hober and Watchtower are very lame.

• Corney
    Corney

I'm typically for fair use, but this case is pretty different. The video in question had not been completed at that time, while it was intended for publication. And I see no legitimate interest in using it then in violation of the owner's right to first publication, which is different from using both an already-published material or a document for limited circulation (like BOE letters). With all that said, my sympathies are on Kevin's side.

For cross-reference: https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5695516093448192/electronic-frontier-foundation-v-watch-tower-society

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    I watched a couple of his videos, which I find quite funny and to the point. I think he would have been better off to omit anything copyrighted, whether in print or even snippets of songs. His content wouldn't be negatively impacted by omitting it and he could have avoided a lot of headaches.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit