Watch Your WALLET !!! Bro's and sisters

by Hotpepper 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Hotpepper
    Hotpepper
    Let's count the ways the WTS. Has been Scamming the rank and file jws, over the years. I'll start . The WTS used to charge $.25 cents a magazine. While it only costs them $.03-.05 cents a magazine to print. That's a $.20 mark up Times 20 Million copies a week. That's about 4 MILLION A WEEK. Not bad over 200 MILLION a year PROFIT.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

Hotpepper, I somehow doubt those numbers. It would be interesting to actually see actual costs involved but $.03-.05 cents seems very low to me, unless you are only including the direct costs.

They did use good quality paper, color inks and generally produced a good product for what it was designed to do.

There are so many other costs involved in producing these type of products. Freight, trucking, maintenance on trucks, fuel, insurance, amortized costs of machinery, maintenance, training, and the list goes on and on. Add to that the preparation costs, design, proof-reading, translation, and the costs are a lot more than what we may think. And that doesn't factor in all the stuff they printed for "free" that didn't have a price tag; KM's, tracts, assembly badges, assembly programs, memorial invitations, plus a lot of other stuff that does not immediately come to mind. Yes, a lot of the work is/was done by "volunteers" but in-house volunteers still have a cost attached (food, health care, personal services, maintenance on living facilities, etc.)

If printing stuff was really a money-making operation, the Society would figure out a way to still do it.

Rub a Dub

• Hotpepper
    Hotpepper

Randy Watters gave those numbers as of @ 1990. On his site Free Minds.org. Rub a Dub you been around long enough to remember this stuff.

• lancelink
    lancelink

In Chicago we were required to buy a parking pass for the district assemblies.

That turned out to be a big scam as I remember.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The scamming and corrupt Watchtower Corporation created the JWS religion so to see first hand dishonest events is not surprising.

Mind you a relgioius organization of this size has to have some financial income to support itself , I dont see a big deal to what the WTS asked for its literature.

Its was what was written in those pieces of literature that was so damming corrupt.

The real scam this organization created goes far beyond its literature publishing activity.

ie. The land and property titles the WTS yanked out individually held congregations , only to sell the property and bank the cash themselves. $$$

Asking children for their candy money when the WTS had hundreds of millions in the bank

the list gores on and on.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

At all of their Conventions ,whether it be Circuit , District ,National or International ,they always had a part on the program about 2/3 rds of the way into the program dealing with expenses and the cost of putting this on.

And they were always in a deficit ,then they would give Bible accounts of how the lords people would give generously without holding back so that their would be an overflowing of $$$$$$$$$$

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

On the subject of the magazines, wasn't that 25c the cost to the public? The average publisher paid slightly less, and pioneers paid a fraction of that. Just another factor to consider when estimating the profit margin on them.

• Hotpepper
    Hotpepper

Ok I see I was only using Randy Watters numbers. Of what it costs to print the mags. Of about $.05 cents each. Let's double the cost to $10 cents each magazine. That's still big profit each and every week

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit