The use of "Stumbled" as a Control Technique.

by Phizzy 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Look at what "stumbling someone" means in the world of the Watchtower -

Stumbling implies that, by your words or actions, another person stops being a Witness. These potential "Stumbled ones" are also labeled as "new" to the religion or "spiritually weak."

So, by doing something that may or may not be wrong in the eyes of the Almighty you are condemned for another's lack or faith or weak faith.

No personal responsibility!

Yet, when the Watchtower does wrong we are reminded that the Governing Body is made up of imperfect men.

Double standard!

• hoser
    hoser

When the elders tell you that you’ve stumbled someone and won’t tell you who it’s probably made up bullshit. They’re not above lying to get you to fall in line

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

As far as WT is concerned, I wondered what it would take to "stumble" me...I was married twice--both families were JW ( that's how I got involved to start with -another story) These families proved to be some of the most unprincipled, and often dishonest people I ever knew. My worldly relatives were more honorable! But I always thought I wasn't worshiping men, but rather God. So it took me 50 years to realize that the JW religion is a Con...It wasn't the bad behavior of other members that took me out, but the realization of lies that were told in the name of God Almighty by the GB. Thank you GB for exposing yourself so plainly that I woke up! The sad part is the GB have stumbled many to the point it has destroyed their lives.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

In one congregation we where in had an anointed sister that must of had some sort of hatred for Italians or something. We are Italian and speak English with an accent. She was always correcting us on our accent. She even hated how we dressed. Running to the elders crying on how we look. And she was the type that got her way. Not with my Dad or Mom. She came into the shop one time with her car and my Dad told her he cannot work on her car, which was a lie all the work was down he just not want to deal with her. She walked into my Mom's bakery and demanded my mom to make her a cake. Mom told her she had too many clients ahead of her and referred her to another bakery. Mom could of helped her, just didn't want to deal with her.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PHIZZY:

I always thought that the ‘stumbled’ card that Witnesses play was a control mechanism. In my mind, ‘stumbling’ had to do with refraining from doing something around a person who had a problem in a certain area. For example: maybe I wouldn’t order an alcoholic beverage if I were out with a person who was trying to quit drinking.

Unfortunately, the JWs take this too far and use it to give unwanted opinions to people about everything. What I came to believe is that sometimes Witnesses were just plain ENVIOUS. If they made a remark about somebody’s stylish clothing, etc., maybe because the person looked better in clothing than they did or could afford stylish clothing. Also, with regard to somebody being talented in some area (or educated) they didn’t want to hear about it lest somebody there get hurt feelings over feeling inferior. They would be ‘stumbled’. But, this doesn’t fit in with what I consider to be stumbled!.. They should pray to Jehovah to be less jealous or envious.

FOOLEDNOMORE:

I wouldn’t have bothered with that awful JW woman either.. Let her go elsewhere. Sounds like she has a serious case of envy and some other things as well.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

In Dubland it always seems that it's the "stumblee", and not the "stumbler' who is the culprit.

In other words, more victim-blaming and gaslighting.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BETH SARIM:

That could be the case sometimes. But, I came to see in the JW religion it depends on who you are and WHO is bringing the ‘complaint’.

If you happen to be somebody attractive, stylish or look well off - and somebody more popular or ‘influential’ (in a bad way - like an eldress) is making a complaint (whether it’s your clothing, something you own, etc.), you might be made to feel you are in the ‘wrong’ - even if you are technically not. It could be a grey area.. Some things are none of anybody’s business and I wasn’t there to be on edge worrying about what everyone thought.

In my opinion, they went too far with this ‘stumbling’ nonsense!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

LongHair

Yes. Victim blaming, pointing fingers and gaslighting. All the time, everywhere,

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, every time an elder told me that some unnamed jw said something I was doing was "stumbling" that person, I would ask who. Never knew who it was and the elder would not tell me. I said they should come to me and talk about it first. I would also ask the elder why he and his family are doing the same thing and why they don't stop. Yes, the "stumbling" game is used by too many jws to interfere with other jws lives. But them I ask the elder if this counsel is being shared with the "stumbled one." "“Abundant peace belongs to those loving your law,” sang the psalmist, “and for them there is no stumbling block.” (Psalm 119:165) If we as individuals love and keep Jehovah’s law, we will not be stumbled spiritually by what someone else does or by any other matter." WT 2005 4/15 p. 20

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit