READ: Watchtower's SCOTUS petition

by Corney 32 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Sometimes I wonder about myself .

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I take two things from this...

a) ...the WTS is really desperate to not have to pay and/or have a scary (for them) legal precedent set, in the #metoo era, no less...

...or...

b) ...they're actually fucktarded enough to think that God's got their back and they'll be righteously vindicated no matter what, like back in the day.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

re. a) above...

They're also desperate enough to go "all in" at the highest court in the land, too...

...'cause if they fail there, they can't just cut their losses and back away from the table.

Not to mention that if GB members get called to the stand (and at this point, they'd be idiots to not consider that), it could cause real problems.

Ten bucks says there's a quiet little exodus happening in the WT Legal Department. :smirk:

• Solzhenitsyn
    Solzhenitsyn

SCOTUS

7000-8000 cases filed per year

75 cases taken up last year

When cases taken, they reverse lower court decisions 70% of the time.

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

Calif passed a law that required reporting on issues of child abuse.. Society did not report - hid files for 2 years at $4,000.00 a day fine. Still have not passed them to the courts..They do not want this ruling to be the norm in all their hidden abuse cases... so they are fighting the State of Cali to get the monies back...

I can only hope SCOTUS sees through this smoke and mirrors that will ultimately bring down the organization.. I make it over $500,000,000.00 paid out in NDA's and court cases and lawyers and PR firms- maybe more. Australia's 1006 perverts still are on the books to pay their victims. Seeing more halls being sold off.

SCOTUS - peruse the world reports on the massive child abuse scale within the ranks of JW's- hidden by the Governing Body, the District and Circuit overseers and the elders in various congregations before you make a bad decision for the organization!!!

The new Shepherding the Flock of God book and letter written to elders last month only reflect RECENT changes as to how to handle child abuse cases. They never asked parents to report to the law and still do not- it their legal department first.

They never allowed another person to be present for the victim of either gender - NEVER. The victim was set before 3 men and the perp. Then a prayer for the poor sinful man/woman- then the kid usually returned to the same home to "let Jehovah handle it". Men were/are seldom chastised. There are not enough of them to take the lead. No follow up for the victim was done, no therapist, nothing, just more meetings, study, service.

The latest Watchtower for the month study articles is a sham leading the congregations to believe their protection was always there when it WAS NOT. It will soothe their (congregation)consciences for a long time and not believe the so called FAKE news about the organization.

SCOTUS - do your job please.. Contact Trey Gowdy

• LV101
    LV101

WT always gets off on the cheap -- cult evil prevails and too bad these courts don't make them really pay.

• JeffT
    JeffT

SCOTUS doesn't have to do anything for us to win. If they decline to hear the appeal the lower court ruling stands. I don't understand the Watchtower's argument. If they are saying that following the law violates their religious freedom, then they are arguing that being a criminal is part of their religious doctrine.

I'll be surprised if SCOTUS takes the case.

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder if the WTS is going to argue that they fall under the clergy-penitent law saying that it was a private confession to one person, like a priest, known to no one else. Except there are at least 3 elders on the committee, the results are shared with the rest of the BOE, that the elders can confidentially tell parents of young children in the congregation, and they send a report to the WTS headquarters administration.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Blondie, I've been out since 1988. Have the Jehovah's Witnesses given up claiming they don't have a clergy? Back in the day, they used to cite that as part of their proof that they were the only True Christian religion.

I'd think it would be hard to claim clergy-penitent privilege when you don't have a clergy.

• blondie
    blondie

No, the WTS says to the flock that they do not have a clergy. But when they want to get legal credit for having one, they are going to lie about it, after all representatives of Satan's system are not entitled to the truth.

Below does not say that the WTS does not have a clergy, just not a paid clergy. Does the clergy-penitent law say that the clergy must be paid?

The WTS quibbles with words:

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2003565?q=paid+clergy&p=sen

By way of contrast, Jehovah’s Witnesses endeavor to imitate Jesus and his early disciples. They have no paid clergy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit