READ: Watchtower's SCOTUS petition

by Corney 32 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Corney
    Corney

On June 25, 2019 Watchtower NY filed petition for a writ of certiorari in the U.S. Supreme Court. The Society asks to reconsider a $4 million judgment against it in a California child abuse case.

Docket: https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/19-40.html

Petition: https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/19/19-40/104104/20190625174601258_288149_Petition.pdf (103 pages)

The questions presented are:

1. Did California violate the First and Fourteenth Amendments when it held the former national offices of Jehovah’s Witnesses (Watchtower) responsible for the criminal act of a congregant during non-church activity?

2. Did California violate the First and Fourteenth Amendments when it ordered Watchtower to produce intra-faith communications regarding ii Bible-based religious appointment processes and thereafter punished Watchtower for protecting the privacy rights of non-parties?

3. Whether the Seventh Amendment’s guarantee of the right of trial by jury is incorporated against the States under the Fourteenth Amendment?

AFAIK, it's the first time Watchtower asks the Supreme Court of the United States to hear a child abuse case.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

A crime was committed.

A crime was confessed.

That crime should have been reported.

End of story.

If anything, the elders should be held as an accessory for not reporting it.

My goodness even the bible is clear in Romans 13 that God uses the authorities HAVING PLACED THEM THERE, to punish those who commit crimes.

So suck it up you watchtower maggots and PAY UP! LOL!!! Bahahahahaha!!!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Wow I don't see any subjecting themselves to the superior authorities there. Yet another $4million bites the dust.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

I so hope the SCOTUS won't take the case, or even better take it and have Watchtower lose.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

1. Yes. All jw activities are part of "the ministry"

2. No. Establishes the position held

3. Wt would not want a trial by jury anywat so is moot

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

I hope the U.S. judiciary is getting scunnered (Google it!) with the WTBTS and its self-righteous attitude.

Wake up all you scumbags in positions of power within the WTBTS/CCoJW - your business empire is going to have to bite the same bullet as the Vatican did.

The org can run, but it can't hide! I feel your pain. :)

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

The SCOTUS only takes cases that violate the constitution. I see they are trying to find a hole but I doubt all the press that the SC will want to even begin to wade into the cults cesspool

• LV101
    LV101

I hope justice prevails against the evil cult and the victim (plaintiff/whatever) is awarded much more -- still would never compensate them. I'm so sick of religions running roughshod over the innocent - especially one of the most evil corporations in the world/WT!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Have you read anything written by the SCOTUS members or listened to them? Even the Kavenaugh hearings support that these are intelligent people and won't be fooled by WT's attempt to get their foot in the door with these faux constitutional issues. BUT, the SCOTUS just took a BIG RIGHT TURN in the past 2 years thanks to Trump's appointments, and WT just may be hoping that they take the side of the "conservative" religious base.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Pardon my ignorance ,but what does SCOTUS actually mean ? Is it The Supreme Court of The US ?

Of course it is you dumbell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit