My wife and I are hooked on European series screening on SBS TV

by smiddy 10 Replies latest social entertainment

• smiddy
    smiddy

Whether they be Norwegian ,Danish ,French or whatever , having sub-titles doesnt bother us as their usually is a mix of english dialogue as well.

Some examples : Tracked ,The Tunnell ,The bridge ,Dicte ,Borgen ,just to name a few.Another one I`m watching now about the Middle East the name just escapes right now .

Anybody else watching these shows ?

• Simon
    Simon

Yeah, I posted about Äkta Människor (Real Humans) which is way way "grittier" than the English remake (still good and worth watching, just shallower).

Some people can't get past subtitles but you're really missing out - they make great TV, not focused on just having pretty people on TV (jeez, Qantico?).

The original Girl with the Dragon Tattoo movies were much better too. Real suspense and fantastic acting. Again, the English adaptation wasn't terrible, just not the same depth to it.

• fukitol
    fukitol

The European stuff has always been much better if you are not bothered by missing half the visual experience because of having to read subtitles. Or you are a lightning fast reader of subtitles.

Most stuff produced by Hollywood currently is abject, youth obsessed crap.

• fulano
    fulano

We have everything from VARG VEUM. An older serie but very good. Then WALLANDER, the swedish version is very good as well. I Personally think the swedish make the best although VARG VEUM IS Norwegian. Dannish sounds very rough.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Always loved European films since my teen years. I would love to see the original "Humans". When my son was 9 he and I got hooked on a Norwegian political drama, female lead, but the name escapes me. How can I get this channel as it sounds right up my street, is it a sky thing?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Channel 4 has a load under the Walter Presents banner.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

I'll search for them. I agree that many American shows are crap, but not all. Every now and then there are one or two worth watching (unfortunately, some are the American version of foreign written shows, but not all).

• Giordano
    Giordano

NOBEL may be the Middle East one you mentioned Smiddy.

Simon check out Four Seasons in Havana there's four or five episodes.

• fulano
    fulano

Inspector Morse (oldie)

Midsomer murders

Vera

• cobweb
    cobweb

Love all the Killing, bridge, borgan stuff. There was also an icelandic drama called Trapped on bbc4 about 6 months ago, set in a small fishing port. It got cut off by weather and there were murders etc. Very good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit