California to ban sales of fossil fuel cars in 15 years

by mickbobcat 45 Replies latest social current

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

ban private car ownership altogether. limit travel to essential journeys only.

My daily commute is 82 miles (132 kilometers) round trip. Not at all unusual in the U.S.

public transport ?

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

When we were captives of the JW cult. . .

It has been asked before, can we just get past the if you do not agree with my side of the argument "you are still in JW cult mentality" garbage?

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

Public transport?

The U,S. state I live in is larger in area than the entire area of England alone. The population is 1/10th as many as live in only London. Most if not all people who so easily say "public transportation" are 100% clueless of the distances and cost involved to create a "public transportation" system to serve that area. Of course those same people would likely not care if we had to walk and carry everything on top of our heads.

• Simon
    Simon
    When we were captives of the JW cult it was understandable that so many of us were ignorant and uneducated given the cult’s position on education, but to remain so after leaving the cult is both foolish and suggests that they still control our lives.
    Seriously, leave the cult—not just physically, but also mentally—and learn to think and distinguish scientific facts from ignorant and foolish nonsense.

You're a sucker. You think you're smart, but you're lead by the nose wherever society wants you to go.

All the while looking down on people who have independent critical thoughts.

But sure, tell us more how "we're the cult thinkers".

Idiot.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That’s crazy! If we’ve got any chance of avoiding catastrophic climate change then we need to make changes much quicker than that. If it takes 15 years to get rid of car pollution alone then we don’t have any prospect of escaping the worst outcome. We need to be doing this sort of thing within a year or two at most.

• minsky
    minsky

slimboyfat: If it cost more fossil fuel energy to build/drive a "green" car than a "regular" car (not to speak of all the new mines, factories, etc.), then what is the point?

It is not insignificant the so-called worst-case changes are all 50-100 years in the future. If I told you that you would get 100 dollars now, but owe 1000 in 100 years, chances are you would take the money now. In the same way, it is completely rational to not care that much about what may (or may not) happen in 100 years, even so-called catastrophic scenarios.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    If green cars are even worse then better not build them either! Either we will choose how to reorganise our lives, or else we will have no choice how our lives are reorganised. I don’t think ‘to hell with future generations’ is a very reputable policy. Plus what if they discover viable life extension in the next few years: ‘minsky: good news is we discovered how to extend your life by 50 years, bad news is the planet is burning up and you get a front row seat’.
  • Rivergang
    Rivergang
    I don’t think ‘to hell with future generations’ is a very reputable policy

An example of what the Royal Navy used to describe as the "Jack Club"; I'm all-right Jack, F#cK you

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Coal , Oil ,and Gas are still essential in today`s world , and will be for years to come ,face the facts people.

• hoser
    hoser

We eat oil. The best green solution would be to turn the clock back 150 years and go back to organic farming with the horse.

Horsepower took about one third of the farmland just to feed the horses. Take away petroleum based fertilizers and pesticides and another third of food production is lost.

So to go totally green we need to starve out 5 billion people

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit