Narcissistic personality disorder and the dubs

by purrpurr 40 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

I think that back 'in the day',maybe for years after I was gone, there was a hard-core of the pre-WWII JWS. Those elders were company men. We obeyed, or faced the consequences.

It's one of the things I resent (for lack of a better word) the most - that they made the child that was me, see my classmates as 'ruled by Satan'. They steal your childhood, in more ways than one. xx

• William Penwell
    William Penwell
    Talesin, Those are good points and pretty much covers that acquaintance to a tee. She had a sense of self importance that she expected me to drop everything just to do her a favor. She has a sense of entitlement that you couldn't say NO to her. She lacked empathy for others, as not one has gone through what I have gone through. "Shows arrogant, haughty [rude and abusive] behaviors or attitudes." I notice she did not just act that way to me but to everyone she came in contact with. I hated to go for coffee with her as she treated the servers badly and could be very rude to them over hardly anything.
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell

It's one of the things I resent (for lack of a better word) the most - that they made the child that was me, see my classmates as 'ruled by Satan'. They steal your childhood, in more ways than one. xx

I grew up in the 60's and was brain washed into thinking the "worldly" children were not as good as I was as they were wicked people and would be destroyed at Armageddon. I do not blame my parents as they were brain washed into the cult but I put all the blame where it should be on the cult leadership.

I never had a normal childhood as we were never allowed to have any extra activities out side of the organization. We could not celebrate the holidays or play sports, as that would take us away from the studies. It is hard enough for children to grow up let alone make them feel even more different. The might as well stuck a kick me sign on our backs. Anyway I got through it and have never being happier that I am no longer part of that mind controlling cult.

• talesin
    talesin

Ugh, so negative. I am feeling you, WP. For me, it can be the people who are passive-aggressive, that can be the most challenging; sets my teeth on edge. haha, I'm sure I do that to some other people!

Once you know the signs, they are easier to spot. If you can't avoid contact, it's helpful to know 'who' and 'what' you're dealing with . : )

• talesin
    talesin
    I never had a normal childhood as we were never allowed to have any extra activities out side of the organization. .... Anyway I got through it and have never being happier that I am no longer part of that mind controlling cult.

I'm proud of us. xo

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Once you know the signs, they are easier to spot. If you can't avoid contact, it's helpful to know 'who' and 'what' you're dealing with . : )

I have learned a long time ago how to spot the signs and I do avoid those types. This acquaintance I speak of was someone that I got stuck with after my mom passed away and I felt a little obligation because of owing it to my mom. I recognized that she was a passive-aggressive, narcissistic type of person a long time ago. I know it would not end well as Like I mentioned you could not say NO to her. So the last straw was about a month ago she asked me to come over and do her a favor. That afternoon she phoned me and asked if I was coming over. I nicely explained that I could come over for about an hour but i had a previous commitment that I was going out to do something with another friend. She just said well fine forget it and hung up on me. (The passive-aggressive coming out.) This was the finale straw as this isn't the first time she has done this crap. Then the next day she leaves me a big long telephone message about how I let her down etc. No apology or anything. So like I said this was the finale straw and I cut out all communications with her. So now she knows that she is not going to get her own way and as a last desperation she starts getting real nasty. That is when she starts pulling up things I supposedly did twenty years ago, that she knows nothing about and starts threatening me. Just an ugly bitch and I am glad she is out of my life once and for all.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

dubstepped who told you you had NPD? I thought a feature of the disorder was the person never thinks they've got it. I also read a key feature is not wanting to grow old. Maybe that fits to all JWs.

Isn't there something a bit odd about a classification system that so freely uses the word "tendencies" to hedge its bets? We wouldn't say "I've not actually got a cold but I've got cold like tendencies today". I do wonder what's going on in psychology.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Isn't there something a bit odd about a classification system that so freely uses the word "tendencies" to hedge its bets? We wouldn't say "I've not actually got a cold but I've got cold like tendencies today". I do wonder what's going on in psychology.

Thank god they hedge their bets now. Rufus May is a British clinical psychologist best known for using his own experiences of being a psychiatric patient to promote alternative recovery approaches for those experiencing psychotic symptoms.

I saw a BBC documentary about his work called The Doctor who Hears Voices. May was helping a young doctor who was hearing voices, without revealing her identity which would have ended her career. She got better because it was a temporary list of symptoms or 'tendencies' caused by working long hours as a junior doctor, she was not schizophrenic. The mind doctors are being much more cautious about diagnoses thank goodness.

• Acts5v29
    Acts5v29

Good morning dubstepped,

You're so right - the difference between NPD and a narcissist is like the difference between a prince and an actor. It shows when you come on the wrong side of them all of a sudden - but trust me, you never want to do that. They behave coldly, clinically, without a word, without a conscience.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@slimboyfat - I never said that I had NPD or that anyone else said so. I am a recovering narcissist, in that I formerly possessed many narcissistic traits and probably always will fight them (much like perfectionism, another mindset that I've fought for years). As stated by another poster above, there's a huge difference between true narcissistic personality disorder and simple narcissism.

With regard to psychology, I think classifying it as "hedging its bets" is quite harsh. I would certainly hope that it allows for things like gray areas and disorders the lie on spectrums because we humans aren't simple binary creatures that can be easily placed in a well defined box. People don't work that way. It is an inexact science. There is a lot of judgement involved as humans do their best to help other humans.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit