“This generation will by no means pass away.”

by Fisherman 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

For argument sake let’s assume that this verse should apply to 1914. What are your thoughts on generation?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Regardless of whether or not your incorrect premise is granted, ‘generation’ in the referenced passage refers to a generation in the ordinary sense: contemporaries born around the same time, i.e., people you went to school with are in your generation, but your parents and grandparents are not.

• Simon
    Simon

A generation is 20-30 years.

Boomers, GenX, Millennials ... we talk about generations and they are not 70-80 years apart.

110-120 years is right out.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

''For argument sake let’s assume that this verse should apply to 1914. What are your thoughts on generation?''

And for a doctrine which I was baptized for over 30 years ago to be just thrown out the window with the bath water just speaks volumes of the nonsensical nature of this Borganization.

5 years after I was baptized......I remember the masthead in the Awake magazine going from the 'generation who saw 1914 begin' to that absurdity stupid new understanding of ''about to replace'' with the new system.

I digress. Should this verse apply to 1914....it cant. I think it's something the Borg will try to sweep under the carpet more and more and forget about it....but cant. Thanks to the internet. The Borgs worst nightmare.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hello, Sir Fish. I hope all is well with you.

Whatever my views, I don't think they 'overlap(tm)'.

As for 1914, I see no significance there. When I left the Jobots and became a mainstream Christian, I got the impression from this text as being more about the generation alive up to the Romans and Masada and all that stuff because they saw it.

Now, it's pretty meaningless to me. I'm more inclined to a Buddhist-lite version of life.

• waton
    waton

The wording also means, that once all the events listed, like "the tribulation greater than the world has ever seen", have occurred during that special generation, it's members, will pass away, die.

The generation is not the anointed, wt's favoured, because they pass away at the onset, not after the end of the end times.

It can not be the wt's sheep either, because they are supposed to never pass away at all, even after the end generation has run out of time.

In our family, 4 generations have appeared, and generated since 1914, and counting.

wt's . core doctrine since 1914: In this generation, Millions now living will never die, is an empty promise, false prophecy, profitable may be, but patently false. pft.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I can relate to 3 Bible accounts that indicate a generation is Approximately 50 years in length. So if 1914 was correct the generation of 1914 would end about 1964 .

WT / JW predictions weren`t fulfilled in that year.

Bear with me on this,

1/

. Mathew 1: 17-18

Luke 3:23-38

Mathew 24:1-2

Abraham 2018 BC

Jesus 2 AD

= 2016 years

Divided by 42 generations = 48 years, for 1 generation

2/

. 76 generations from Adam to Jesus = 4024 years

76 divided into 4024 = 53 years for 1 generation

3/

Luke 21: 20-24

Jesus died 33 AD prophecy fulfilled in 70 AD well within a generation of 50 years

smiddy3

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

There is an argument that the Greek translated as 'this generation' should not, in context, be understood in its modern sense of 'contemporaries alive now' but rather as 'this race, this people' or something similar; what the KJV translators would have had in mind.

I tend to agree with this. So I propose the following as a way of keeping the verse relevant to 1914:

'Our revised understanding is that 'this generation' means the new 'Spiritual Israel' which began to arise (or 'be generated') after CT Russell began to restore True Worship around the turn of the 20th Century. This group of Anointed Christians are the ones who 'shall endure till the end' (Mt 24:13)'

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the generation of 1914 has passed away.

I hope i live to see the watchtower pass away.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The Watchtower’s definition of a generation is just plain wrong and not in line with any dictionary that I could find.

The fact that we are still here in 2022 shows that the “time of the end “ could not have started in 1914.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit