Watchtower says you can be Disfellowshiped for being Fat!

by Witness 007 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Watchtower 1974 p.167 "By disobediently over indulging in food and making a glutton of himself he shows no love for Jehovah..in the presents of others does he ignore their needs and selfishly take more then his fair share? Is he grossly overweight gorging himself? Does he feel uncomfortable even getting sick...this person has no place in the congregation of God...they will not inherit Gods kingdom."

Watchtower 78 12/15 p.9 "the glutton may make it impossible for other diners to eat to satisfaction...he may be dispised isolating himself from others. They may shun him....he may incurr Gods displeasure and lose his life...Gods kingdom will bring law defying gluttons to an end

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

That is still on the books as a sin for which a JC is needed. I have never heard of a case.

This is from The Flock book listing of gross sins

“Gluttony: (Prov. 23:20, 21; w04 11/1 pp. 30-31) A glutton rou- tinely shows a lack of restraint, even gorging himself on food to the point of feeling very uncomfortable or becoming sick. Glut- tony is determined, not by someone’s size, but by his attitude to- ward food.“

NB note that is not fatness but greed.

• surprised2bhere
    surprised2bhere

Is this not an eating disorder which is a mental health condition? Wow betide anyone that ends up fat. An eating disorder and skinny is usually fine. A clever, funny, kind fat pioneer is just a fat person.

• markweatherill
    markweatherill

There are eight fat old guys who are exempt from this.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what about the jokehovian lifestyle? They get very limited exercise, driving from call to call. They also get quite little sleep, lending to bad metabolism. They are exposed to more dry cleaning chemicals, again ruining their metabolism. They are not allowed to do any fitness training, and just about every workout is linked either to yoga (banned) or martial arts (also banned). And they eat that fast, good-tasting poison found at McDonald's all the time--which will lead you to being fat.

So they blame the victim when they are fat because of pious-sneering or because they cannot afford decent food? And what is defined as "fat"? I can remember the old weight charts were updated in 1983, to reflect that people were getting fatter (and not necessarily from eating more, but from eating lousy foods and drinking too much high fructose corn syrup sodas). These charts were updated again, so they get that meaningless BMI (which complicates a simple equation).

Not to mention, too much dieting actually ruins your metabolism, especially if you lack key vitamins and minerals?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Wow! Thanks for sharing this. I always wondered why people were disfellowshipped for smoking, but not for eating fast food or for being overweight. The same principle applies to both.

I would imagine the real reason is because many elders I knew were definitely heavy eaters.

Side Note - When I was about 10 I saw a friend in the congregation cry after a meeting. He had to sit through the meeting with his mom while it was announced that his dad was disfellowshipped. His dad was DFed for smoking. That was rough.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

That would apply to half of the congregation I was in! Elders and Pioneer s included.

• Marbles
    Marbles

Some medications contribute to weight gain, and that issue is none of their business. Gawd.

• skin
    skin

One of the very first witness get togethers I was invited too, not long after I become a witness. i was asked to bring a 2kg container of ice cream to it, thats fine I thought, I then found out everyone invited were also bringing ice cream. We are going to have an ice cream eating competition where the winner is the fastest to eat all their container of ice cream. Straight away I said no way, not because I knew what gluttony was at that stage, but because the thought of eating that much ice cream would of make me sick, I had never heard of over endulging in food eating competitions before I become a witness. Once a witness, eating competitions were entertainment for us, one brother tried to eat 50 marshmallows, he ended up being sick in the toilet and those marshmallows wouldn't flush away.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007
    So a skinny bethelite hates a fat bethelite who always eats all the chicken on their table so he writes these articles in "Jehovahs inspired" magazine. This is a possibility. Personal opinion pushed in as doctrine....isn't there more important things to put in the Watchtower? This is a joke.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit