Challenge to Creationists

by cofty 147 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty
    when challenged and held to specifics, claim to be insulted and run

I was talking to a couple of JWs at the literature trolley again yesterday. The young woman tried to claim that the bible was scientifically accurate and cited Isaiah 40 about the "circle of the earth".

I told her that the word does not mean sphere as in Isaiah 22 but two dimensional circle. She blustered for a minute or two but I pointed out that it was a simple fact that she was mistaken and should not keep repeating that error in future. She literally turned around and walked off around the corner never to return. Her partner was left standing there looking puzzled. I asked him if she was prone to going off in the huff.

• DJS
    DJS

Being a root cause analysis type person, let’s get to the heart of the matter regarding this OP in general and the responses from Snowbird and a few others in particular. From Google Scholar – all recent studies from experts (with those PhD thing-eys).

1. Intelligence and religiosity: Within families and over time, Tel Aviv Univ: Yoav Ganzach, Chemi Gotlibovski, 2013

The results suggest that intelligence has a strong negative effect on religiosity. In addition, results also suggest that intelligence interacts with age in determining religiosity: the more intelligent the person, the stronger the negative effect of age on religiosity.

2. The relationship between intelligence and multiple domains of religious belief: Evidence from a large adult US sample, Gary J. Lewis, Stuart J. Ritchie, Timothy C. Bates, 2011

A model of the association of religiosity with intelligence openness using a large adult US sample and 6 measures of religious belief and behavior. Lower intelligence was significantly associated with higher levels of faith. Lower intelligence was most strongly associated with increased fundamentalism.

3.The intelligence–religiosity nexus: A representative study of white adolescent Americans, Helmuth Nyborg, 2009

The study examined whether IQ relates systematically to denomination and income, using representative data from the National Longitudinal Study of Youth (NLSY97). Atheists score 1.95 IQ points higher than Agnostics, 3.82 points higher than Liberal persuasions, and 5.89 IQ points higher than Dogmatic persuasions. It is suggested that IQ makes an individual likely to gravitate toward a denomination and level of achievement that best fit his or hers particular level of cognitive complexity. Ontogenetically speaking this means that contemporary denominations are rank ordered by largely hereditary variations in brain efficiency (i.e. IQ). In terms of evolution, modern Atheists are reacting rationally to cognitive and emotional challenges, whereas Liberals and, in particular Dogmatics, still rely on ancient, pre-rational, supernatural and wishful thinking.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

JWs because of their lack of reasoning ability coupled with their over-confidence would have to be the low hanging fruit of creationists - easy to pick off and devour.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Is it astonishing or surprising that this thread is 5 pages long with Cofty's one simple, concise post offering a challenge to those who deny evolution and believe in creationism that...

a) The creationists spout stuff that has no bearing to the thread/OP

b) Offer zero evidence

It is the fact that they can't read simple points in the OP as to how the challenge works then how are they ever going to accept evolution as fact with all the evidence if the choose to ignore it?

I think Cofty's challenge should have a hidden agenda, to reveal if creationists can understand simple points...so far they have failed miserably...

• bohm
    bohm

I got one: if we,evolved over billions of years of survival of the fittest, how do you account for Stephen lett?

• TheLiberator
    TheLiberator

Cofty. You and I know, that in the Watchtower we could slaughter (figuratively) ANYONE who dared rise against us with our Bibles. We had scripture and proof to destroy. I never lost a single argument when it came to the Bible. NOT ONE. I was willing to challenge the pope with no fear. Sort of like Russell was with clergy. I had a full grasp of Watchtower doctrine. All I ever did was study. The average person would not have the same amount of knowledge.

Thus, I would have them in tears. In fact, in high school, one individual actually took out a pencil and scribbled a scripture out in his Bible, and said, "It's not there now."

True, some of my reasoning was weak (just like your testicle story) , but overall very few could "prove" me wrong. What is my point? ALL THE CRAP I PROVED, WAS FALSE. Of course you will win the debate, in your own mind. But the believer in creation will win in there mind as well.

Bottom line: EVOLUTIONIST'S EYES ARE BROWN BECAUSE THEY ARE FULL OF CRAP JUST LIKE I WAS, WHEN I COULD PROVE EVERYTHING I BELIEVED IN THE WATCHTOWER.

http://www.dontveter.com/notes/essays/eerie.html

• TheLiberator
    TheLiberator

I need to add another thought. Why challenge people here? Is this a school lesson on how not to cut and paste and put into our own words? Isn't that what we were told to do in school to show we understood something? We are beyond that now. You can find counter arguments on all popular websites that are anti-evolution. No need for a challenge. Just like you, we will just rehash what others say. Why not write a letter to those sites. Just pretend you are sincere and want to believe in a creator but you are having trouble understanding this or that. (Like many of us did when discovering TTATT). And no, I am not joking.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

I got one: if we,evolved over billions of years of survival of the fittest, how do you account for Stephen lett?

Oh that is funny!
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

As of right now I have to agree with Vidgun, there is no evidence that we can replicate life or create it from scratch to then one must entertain the idea that life was deposited here on earth from somewhere and it then evolved. It's either that or Demons did it, lol.

• Island Man
    Island Man

As of right now I have to agree with Vidgun, there is no evidence that we can replicate life or create it from scratch to then one must entertain the idea that life was deposited here on earth from somewhere and it then evolved.

Caveman living 10,000 years ago arguing with another cave man: As of right now I have to agree with Lionheart, there is no evidence that we can replicate flight or create a functioning pair of wings from scratch so then one must entertain the idea that flight is not a natural process but pure magic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit