Challenge to Creationists

by cofty 147 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you Besty.

It doesn't bode well that potential contributors can't follow a very succinct OP.

I'm just in from work and going back out again soon. Will reply to everybody later. The rules are of course open to negotiation but the OP says it all...

Please present one specific piece of evidence for creationism.

My task will be to refute it with evidence within 24 hours. (72 might be better)

Then I will present one piece of evidence for evolution and your challenge will be the same.

All posts must be as succinct as reasonably possible. Entirely in your own words, without copy-paste, videos or links.

Please post your interest to take part and we will set it up before the first actual post in the exchange.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Besty, you might be right. I interpreted it that he will not answer immediately, only after he does his homework. Now that I look at it again, I might be wrong. Anyway, this could be the first thread in the series, the initial salvo, with others to follow.

• cofty
    cofty

Please post your interest to take part and we will set it up before the first actual post in the exchange.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Of course there's a trinity, and it can be explained like time.

Time has a past, present and future, yet..yet, they are all time.

Oh, so sorry,replying to the wrong thread

• prologos
    prologos

TTWSYF:--Time has a past, present and future, yet..yet, they are all time.--" and evolution took time, plenty of it, time well spend. what was that thread bsw?

If life would not move through time, through the zero length present into the future, there would be no evolution, it would have to be created fixed as is. but, --

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Perry told me to tell you that his parrot is sick (of him) and thus he is unable to take part, otherwise he assured me that he would have whooped your ass a goodun' in the name of the all that is holey (o).

Amen brother, amen.

• jacobm
    jacobm

Oh dear. I don't understand why this isn't on a creationist/evolution forum.

• cofty
    cofty
    I don't understand why this isn't on a creationist/evolution forum

It's on an ex-JW forum.

Creationism is the fundamental JW doctrine. It is the one most ex-JWs struggle to get over.

• cofty
    cofty
    I am certainly not a creationist, but I can think of an argument. Am I eligible to take up your challenge? - Shepherdless

Perhaps if we can't find a believer to publicly defend their faith we could do it for the metal exercise. I would prefer to find a real creationist if possible.

Are evolution and creation mutually exclusive? - Sanchy

Really good question Sanchy. I would say yes but with one exception.

There is a position known as "theistic evolution" that is scientifically and intellectually reasonable. It is the sort of position advocated by Francis Collins and Ken Miller. the latter wrote the book "Finding Darwin's God". The key to theistic evolution is that you are not allowed EVER to insert god to help evolution over any difficult hurdles. It posits that god set the starting conditions and has not tinkered since then. It accepts that there are naturalistic answers to every question in the history of life. It is not the same as Deism as it believes fully in an immanent theistic god. The usual arguments from design or complexity are not an option for theistic evolution.

Apart from that every other attempt to reconcile creation and evolution turns out to be bad theology and even worse science.

Whence evil? Now, I've got another one: Why evil? - Snowbird

I would love to discuss secular morality anytime but it has absolutely nothing to do with biological evolution. By the way have you managed to remember the titles or authors of even one of the many books you claimed to have read on the subject?

Cofty hasn't been able to refute my points with science and just uses phrases like 'it's bucket chemistry - KateW

You already know that you are being dishonest. I have explained the answer to your question about homochirality in considerable detail more than once and referred you to the work of a Japanese scientist who solved the puzzle. It is a common tactic of creationists to ignore an answer, wait a few weeks and then post the same objection as if it had not been answered.

Vidqun - You seem to be proposing the topic of the development of eukaryotic cells as your evidence against evolution and for creationism.

Is that correct?

I would prefer to discuss how every species evolved from a common ancestor - fish to humans if you like. The origin of the first complex cells are a prelude to the main show.

If you really want to make complex cells the first topic let me know and I will accept. You would need to define a specific question. Don't post anything on the topic yet. I will start a new thread. Since the topic is outside my comfort zone I would want to extend the time allowed for my reply. I will need to do some revision but I will not resort to copy-paste or links/videos.

Will you also agree to respond to a question of my choosing under the same rules?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    By the way have you managed to remember the titles or authors of even one of the many books you claimed to have read on the subject?

Yes.

I've read articles and books by Carl Sagan, Neil deGrasse Tyson, and one biology text by an author whose name I can't remember.

I do remember, however, that it was she who proposed the theory of why we all have dreams or nightmares about falling. This, she propounded, is due to our early ancestors residing in trees, ever fearful of sustaining a fall. This fear was passed on to their offspring.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit