Using the term "Watchtower" when talking to a JW

by Sanchy 32 Replies latest jw friends

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i prefer to say "the watchtower cult".

i think it shows where i stand.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    polishclarinet: a few months ago, I was not very surprised to learn that ISIS wa also called "the organization" by its followers...

Here is a tip - don't ever walk into a police station and tell them that you used to be a member of a worldwide organization...

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

as polish clarinet said above......

Watchtower 15 March 2000, page 32

What She Misses About New York City

The sign seen here has been prominently displayed on one of the Watchtower Society’s factory buildings in Brooklyn, New York, since the 1950’s.

link to scan

• Hecce
    Hecce

Just as the Soviets removed dissidents from their historical pictures, the WT removes their history in a blink of an eye.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I hate it when I hear them say "the truth" (because there has been so much mistruth, thus making that expression ironic and misleading)

I always use the expression "the society" instead....

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I hate it when I hear them say "the truth" (because there has been so much mistruth, thus making that expression ironic and misleading)

That's actually a very common mind control/brainwashing trick - you hear something so often you believe it. How could you question it? You've already called it "the truth".

• Chook
    Chook

Try referring to KH as "our church" and see the reaction. Or that every JW who left another church to join JW is an apostate to the religion they left.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I usually use the word "society." This seems to be more palatable when engaging in a discussion. It never occurred to me that the word "Watchtower" created such bad vibes. I wonder why?

• carla
    carla

It wasn't that many years ago when my newbie jw thought it was disrespectful to refer to jw's as jw's and now they do it themselves. Or maybe it is just my jw picking up my lingo from years ago? hmm.....

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Maybe the term "Watchtower" brings up the old ways...Of course now they are JW.org...Worshiping a website instead of a magazine seems more palatable. Got to keep up with the times!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit