Using the term "Watchtower" when talking to a JW

by Sanchy 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

Has anyone else noticed how alarm bells go off inside a JW mind as soon as they hear someone that "is out" refer to the leaders of this org as "Watchtower"? I've chatted with a few friends now about my doubts and each and every time I've started using phrases such as "Watchtower said this" or "Watchtower did that", I can almost see their heads about to explode in anger, as if they've just realized they are talking to the Lucifer himself. Some have even interrupted and corrected me by reminding me that it's not "Watchtower", it's "God's organization".

• ctrwtf
    ctrwtf

Is it?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Yes. For sure. Only people who are out make a distinction between the watchtower and god himself, so it's a dead giveaway that you're an apostate. Though, depending on the goal that can be useful - their reaction can be used to point out that they don't make a distinction between the organization and god himself, and it shouldn't be too hard to make the point of how dangerous that can be.

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

you'd better said "the organization". The worst would be "the Watchtower Society".

a few months ago, I was not very surprised to learn that ISIS wa also called "the organization" by its followers...

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Gerrit Losch ( a governing body member) was asked to declare about the Watchtower, but he said that he has nothing to do with the Watchtower, because he leads the Jehovah's Witnesses. Of course, this is a lie, but as I see, the dubs are using the same tactic.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Some have even interrupted and corrected me by reminding me that it's not "Watchtower", it's "God's organization".

Im afraid in that instance MY head would explode.

I know what you mean though, i deliberately dont use that term. I say "the organization" or "your religion"

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

It's almost as if you called your mother by her name, you would get the same reaction. When you call the organization Watchtower is becomes apparent that you don't see yourself as part of the family. I like saying Watchtower as well, because it makes them sound like "just another organization", and that is priceless.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

About 20 years ago we starting seeing letters from HQ change from "Watchertower Bible & Tract Society" to "Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses". Witnesses were told to stop saying thing like "The Society (i.e. WBTS) says..."

Here's the thing; talk to someone who has been in for 30+ years and drop the "Society says" and I bet they won't bat an eye. Of course, good luck finding anyone still in for 30+ years.

• compound complex
    compound complex

From somebody, 13 years ago:

• w98 3/15 p. 19 Living Up to Christian Dedication in Freedom *** 4 In order to avoid misunderstandings, Jehovah?s Witnesses try to be careful about how they express themselves. Instead of saying, ?the Society teaches,? many Witnesses prefer to use such expressions as, ?the Bible says? or, ?I understand the Bible to teach.? In this way they emphasize the personal decision that each Witness has made in accepting Bible teachings and also avoid giving the false impression that Witnesses are somehow bound to the dictates of some religious sect. Do elders call "the Society" to see what their latest teachings are when a JW who does not carry the title of elder comes to them and confesses that they committed a "serious sin"? Or do they read the Holy Bible to see what it when that happens? Do Elders follow the SAME procedure when an elder or MS or any other JWs who carry prominent titles come to them confessing the SAME sin as when a JW who carries no title comes to them with the same confession? peace, somebody

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/67132/society-teaches

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Just to piss them off, I use "The Watchtower Bible And Tract Society of Pennsylvania (or New York)"....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit