Shunning: is it still practiced?

by FinchAndWeston 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FinchAndWeston
    FinchAndWeston
    Are DF, DA and apostates still shunned? Are each treated differently? I heard a secondhand report that they seemed to have eased up on this practice ...
  • azor
    azor
    It's alive and well. Im not DA'd or DF'd and all my siblings ignored my invitation to come to my 8 year old son's end of chemo party. It truly is disgusting what this group brings people to.
  • jookbeard
    jookbeard
    yep with a vengeance, last year my mother died, her dying wish was that I was'nt permitted to attend her funeral, by BiL was screaming down the phone to me like a madman informing me of it.
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

Im not even DA'd or DF'd but still shunned by most my family.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Yup...shunning is alive and well. It will get more intense after their summer convention on loyalty.

Inactives will get hit hard. We will stand tall and give the one finger salute!

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    the alarming aspect is the treatment of faders/inactive ones, truly appalling
  • ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

There is a part on this summer's District Convention program entitled Shun Unrepentant Wrongdoers. The practice is not only alive and well, there may be more emphasis on it recently.

http://jwsurvey.org/governing-body-2/controversial-2016-district-convention-program-leaked-loyalty-demanded-shunning-threatened

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Azor:

Im not DA'd or DF'd and all my siblings ignored my invitation to come to my 8 year old son's end of chemo party. It truly is disgusting what this group brings people to.

Sorry to hear that Azor. It seems that no matter how many wretched examples I hear there is always one that is worse.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Azor

that is truly sad to hear. I am sorry they did that to you. NO ONE DESERVES THAT KIND OF TREATMENT. NO ONE!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I thought they would ease up on the shunning as it's causing them trouble in some countries that consider it a "hate crime" if it's over religion.

But I see no evidence of them lightening up. If anything they are becoming more hardcore.

However, I see more JWs choosing to secretly ignore it. I have family members that completely shunned their DFd daughters and the daughters' children. I think it is as a result of the Last Days having lasted, and lasted, and lasted, that they have softened their position and now agree to visit with the daughters and the grandkids. They just do not talk about it to anyone. Period.

Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit