She was a fine sister

by silentlambs 32 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• JanH
    JanH

A great quotation from a great thinker, there, Wendy. It sums up exactly my position. Any idea worthy of acceptance will be able to sustain a critical and skeptical attack and prevail. False ideas and stupid thoughts will not. That is why those who want to cling to false ideas want to hail blind faith as a positive quality.

It is doubt, not faith, that has finally brought some progress to humanity, after centuries of suppression by superstitious ideologies.

And the beginning of this thread shows exactly why suprstition is so bad: under cover of all sorts of insane ideas, people do evil against each other.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• Tina
    Tina

((((((wendy)))))))))0
    I'm glad you liked the quote.
    When I first saw that,it helped me immensely. There's so much information coming at us, an overload at times. Using that as a formula,helps me sift thru it. Skepticism is a major weapon against irrationality. Almost every irrational claim can be defeated by proper analysis. It saves a lot of work and time(for me anyway)lol.
    luv,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Hey Freddy Foo Foo, maybe if the BRETHREN kept their UNCLEAN FROGS in their friggin PANTS there wouldnt be a problem. Molestors love the Watch Tower Society...where else on the planet are they ENCOURAGED to "widen out" and splay their wears unabated and unhindered by such bothersome things as Godliness, Morality or Laws?

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Jan

Well Said!! hugs,Tina

Carl Sagan on balancing openness to new ideas with skeptical scrutiny...."if you are open to the point of gullibility and have not an ounce of skeptical sense,you cannot distinguish useful ideas from worthless ones."

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi S,

Did you happen to see the A&E program about two nights ago about the Utah religion, splinter group of the Mormans that practice polygamy?
    The men usually molest their girl children and it is kept secrect by the family. It made you sick just to listen to the program. The religion reminded me of the JW approach to keeping the people in the religion. It made me feel disgusted with all religions.

Ken P.

• mommy
    mommy

Jan and Tina,
    Thanks for the responses. I am but a humble human learning every day. And I am really learning alot from you. I love the idea of this forum, that I am actually able to sit on my butt in my Pj's and have these wonderful thoughts to ponder.heehee I hope you guys have a great day.

Ken,
    There are alot of likenesses(word?) with most major religions. Fear is such a controlling facet. People are not allowed to, or limit themselves the ability to step outside of the crowd. I think that most of us who left, had feelings for a long time that we buried, but one day we came to the point where we couldn't bury it anymore.

There is a local story now Ken that is dealing with a Mormon preacher who molested 13 girls last summer. He was visiting here and went back to Utah, but left behind a legacy of pain. The church was aware of the happenings and he remained an elder. But one woman was unable to stand for that and brought the charges to the police, little by little the victim list enlarged. He is now facing those charges in a court of law, where he should have faced them anyway. I wonder if he committed murder here and confessed to the guys in Utah if they would even turn that over. Sick world I tell you, sick.
    wendy

• pamkw
    pamkw

I know how true this is. My step-father was studying when he molested me and my older sister. He didn't get a change to hurt my younger sister because I was always there in the way. He was phyically, mentally and sexually abusive to us for years. I told my mom, who of course went to the elders. They didn't believe us. My step-father told them that it was our fault our clothes were too tight. Mind you, I was 13, who do you think bought my clothes. Basicly it was our fault, not his. and that is what the elders told us. They told my mom to be a better wife, and they also told her not to leave him. So she didn't they are still married, it has been over 30. A total marriage from hell. A few years ago, after I was grown and had a child of my own, the elders decided that he had never been a jw because at the time of his baptizm he was molesting his step-daughters. So that made his baptizm void, like it never happened. I remember thinking at the time, so what? Big deal he hadn't gone to meetings in about 20 years. That didn't hurt him. Now he is an old man, with bad health, I for one don't care if he is sick or not. But no one at the time, was encourage to go to the police, no one would listen to the victims. It is a great thing that you are doing.

Pam

• waiting
    waiting

hey pam,

Nice to meet you. I have an account sent to SilentLambs also, the molestation of my daughter by a ms. I went to the police, though it was never suggested to me.

The freedom to go to the police is ours, but we've been taught so well to not trust the "worldly authorities" and not bring "reproach upon Jehovah's congregation." We, as parents, try to handle it as we've been taught - go to the elders.

I'm sorry you and your family had such a rough life. There are many like your and my family. We thought we were doing the right thing by staying with husbands as long as we could, by staying within "God's Organization" at all cost. It cost us our children's innocence many times.

I hope you are doing good. My daughter is fine, been many years ago now.

waiting

• Farkel
    Farkel

: So sad a story, yet one that has been repeated hundreds of times by elders who use Watchtower Policy to hurt children while protecting the “image” of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Yes. As I've said so many times, "Jehovah's Witnesses are the only religion I know who shoot their own wounded."

Farkel

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

i posted a few revisions after talking to the victim today. i orginally wrote the story from memory and i wanted to verify to make sure i was being accurate. after talking to the victim the story got worse. 50-100 victims yet nothing never done to bring this person to justice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit