Amazon Charity

by mikeypants 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

Hi all,

Boring post below, fyi.

I was with extended family this weekend and the conversation drifted to contributions and donations. They said Amazon will donate a percentage of your purchase to a charity of choice.

I guess someone put in jdumbs and it went through. Anyone else heard of this? I didn't think watchtower was a charity.

The whole gang agreed that more shopping would be conducted on amazon so the borg would receive more money.

Anyway, that's all. Just curious.

• rebel8
    rebel8

You may be on to something. We could report them for being ineligible--they definitely promote intolerance and hate--just take a look at their website's statements about homosexuality, for example.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/chpf/pd/ref=smi_se_saas_lpd_spd

Organizations must be public charitable organizations that are registered and in good standing with the IRS as a 501(c)(3) to be eligible to participate. Eligible charitable organizations must also be located in one of the 50 U.S. states or the District of Columbia. Organizations that engage in, support, encourage, or promote intolerance, hate, terrorism, violence, money laundering, or other illegal activities are not eligible to participate. Amazon relies on the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control and the Southern Poverty Law Center to determine which organizations fall into these groups. Charitable organizations must also adhere to the AmazonSmile Participation Agreement to maintain eligibility. Charitable organizations may choose not to participate in AmazonSmile at any time. Although we aim to include only charitable organizations that are in good standing and do not engage in any of the activities described above, we cannot guarantee the good standing and/or conduct of any charitable organization.
    Charitable Organizations that Become Ineligible

These occurrences are relatively rare. If your selected charitable organization becomes ineligible due to a change in IRS standing or another violation of the program participation agreement...

• rebel8
    rebel8

Send Us a Tip

Our investigative reporting depends on reliable sources. If you have information that you think might be interested to the Intelligence Project, please contact us below. We respect confidentiality if it is requested.

https://www.splcenter.org/eform/submit/send-us-a-tip

https://www.splcenter.org/20160211/religious-liberty-and-anti-lgbt-right

The hardline religious-right groups that have long relied on the use of demonizing falsehoods to justify discrimination against LGBT people

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

@Rebel,

Nice! They definitely promote hate and intolerance. Amazon doesn't want that publicity for sure.

• rebel8
    rebel8

https://org.amazon.com/agreement

AmazonSmile Participation Agreement

By creating a charity administration account on the org.amazon.com website ("Organization Site") or otherwise participating in or seeking to participate in the Program, you agree to these conditions. Please read them carefully.

"Eligible Organizations" are those charitable organizations that we determine:

1. are qualified under Section 501(c)(3) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Service Code;
    2. are public charitable organizations and not private foundations;
    3. are not supporting organizations, unless identified specifically as Type I, Type II, or functionally integrated Type III supporting organizations (as defined in the U.S. IRS Code);
    4. are headquartered in the United States (the 50 States and the District of Columbia);
    5. are in good standing in their state of incorporation and in the states where they are authorized to do business;
    6. do not engage in, support, encourage, or promote:
      • intolerance, discrimination or discriminatory practices based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, or age;
      • hate, terrorism, or violence;
      • money laundering;
      • other illegal, deceptive, or misleading activities; and
    7. are otherwise not in violation of the terms of this Participation Agreement.

• rebel8
    rebel8

If you go to Amazon Smile, log in, and pick "change your charity" in the Your Account page, you can search for charities.

WTBS of Brooklyn is there, as are many assembly halls and congregations.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Wow, nobody is interested in this? I am surprised.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I am also surprised that it has not generated more discussion , thanks mp for putting it out their in the first place and your expanding on it rebel8

Maybe everybody is waiting on Jehovah , that could explain it.

• Simon
    Simon

SPLC is hardly a great judge of character. They have recently labelled some anti-extremist moderate muslim pro-reformers as extremists / racists.

The trouble with the charity system is it's not policed ... literally anyone can be a charity.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I was involved with a non-profit for a while, and we signed up our 501 c3 with smile.amazon. It didn't really catch on with our membership, but if enough people participated, it could add up to quite a donation. Basically, Amazon donates fifty cents for every $100 purchased (0.50%) to the buyers selected charity. The money is transferred electronicallly to our non-profit's bank account.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit