Juneteenth

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Are you ready to celebrate?? It’s such a big holiday that the local Electric Company will be closed in order to celebrate. Only emergencies will be dealt with on that day.

What are you doing for the holiday?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

WTF is Juneteenth?

• titch
    titch

Well, nothing....Absolutely nothing in the way of celebrating. The date, June 19th, or, Juneteenth means nothing to me. Best Regards, Everyone...

Titch.

• minimus
    minimus

It is the celebration of the emancipation of the slaves.

• waton
    waton

well we will have the summer solstice, the sunlight highpoint of the year. and had the ring of fire on the tenth,

signs in the heavens.

• minimus
    minimus

Waton, what are you talking about?

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

I live in the South and I most definitely will! The food, the fun, the stories etc... are all great.

It is more of a Southern celebration that should definitely get more attention.

After all, if no one sees the need to discredit the celebration of St. Patrick's Day or Cinco de Mayo celebrations in the United States or Rash Hashanah, why not the same support or at least understanding of a holiday that has some symbolism to a historically influential and oppressed group of people.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@minimus: the liberation of the slaves happened in April, not June and we already have Memorial Day for the end of the civil war.

• minimus
    minimus

Well, they are celebrating on Juneteenth

• silentbuddha
    silentbuddha

Proclamation made in April... of 1863. Many tried to ignore the proclamation and not inform their slaves or set them free. Many people from southern states went to Texas with their illegal slaves in tow to continue enslaving. It wasn't until the surrender of Lee a full 2 years later at the very end of the civil war that these people were free.

That is why it is celebrated aside from the other two events.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit