Can we stick to topics that we came that we came to this forum in the first place?

by James Jack 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• JeffT
    JeffT

I have often thought about starting a series of posts on practical information for living a good life after the JWs. Maybe topics like: moving out of your parents' house, finding a job, finding an apartment, buying a house, renovating a house, opening a checking/savings account, planning for retirement, investments, etc. Depending on your age leaving the JWs any of those topics might possibly be appropriate.

Go for it. JW's don't learn anything about life in the real world, meaning there are lots of XJW's that might be struggling to learn how to handle those items you mention, and many more. I'll be happy to bore anybody that asks with my financial advice.

• minimus
    minimus

I think it’s wonderful that the site has a good variety of subjects.

• just fine
    just fine

Sometimes those “off topic” posts are where I learn the most.

Some of them have made me examine beliefs and attitudes I had that were holding me back.

If it’s not something that interests me I just skip it.

• James Jack
    James Jack

GT

Wonderful response. If you read my earlier posts, you will notice that I was a all in JW, hook, line and sinker. My wife and I had a combined 34 years of regular pioneering, besides me 21 years as an Elder, COBE, Convention Program Overseer, Assembly and Convention Speaker. I spent a week in Patterson NY for special training, so many other “privileges”, it just makes me more angry the more I think of it. We devoted 40 years of our life on the premise that we would never grow old in this System of Things (wasted years). We never planned on retirement.

I just want to read of people like me who made the same Mistake and how they are coping now, it’s like therapy for me.

• Simon
    Simon
    Go for it. JW's don't learn anything about life in the real world, meaning there are lots of XJW's that might be struggling to learn how to handle those items you mention, and many more. I'll be happy to bore anybody that asks with my financial advice.

Definitely worthwhile. I've posted odd topics along these lines:

(although some of the advice is out of date!)

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

James Jack, I salute you, sir.

No one gets out unscathed. No one.

GT

• waton
    waton

JJ, but in the big schemes of things, , do not consider it as time wasted because you traveled under wt auspices. consider it part of your formation and build on it.

• James Jack
    James Jack

Thanks guys for the great advice, though still pissed off!

• James Brown
    James Brown

When you turn your computer on you do not have to read everything that appears on your screen. When I used to watch tv, I had a dial to change the channel if I did not like the program. When you go to a page you do not care for, just scroll on. Hit the back button or the forward button or your favorites. You do not have to read what you do not like.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I think it’s great to see many of us take part in these kind of discourse, in the past we weren’t allowed to comment on politics or participate in voting etc. There isn’t a whole lot going on in JW-land, they literally have been shutting down the religion to save money. This forum isn’t just about JWs, it’s for JWs and regurgitating the copy-pasta from various other fact-based exJW websites would be boring.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit