Can we stick to topics that we came that we came to this forum in the first place?

by James Jack 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• James Jack
    James Jack

I don’t care about politics, books you are reading, movies and tv programs you’re watching, etc.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

James -- then I suggest you pass over those topics. You aren't mandated to read it all.

Frankly, there isn't much being said about JWism. I guess the JDubs are really really in lock down, because they aren't stirring any BS currently. You'd think AM3 would be running low on scotch by now and sneaking out of the compound. I wish SOMETHING/ANYTHING would happen as this place has become a little "slow" (boring) with nothing to read about.

I just considered that this lock down may greatly benefit the bOrg as it keeps the R&F JW from "mingling" with the ordinary folks and even more so the disenfranchised JW that might help them do some critical thinking.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes.... there are times when I turn straight to the “Watchtower Soc./JW “ heading on the front page, especially when the American Politics with all its vitriol gets too much.

But when it settles I click the ‘latest’ button to see what is going on . That’s how I found your thread. Why is there less comment on WT issues ?

We used to delight in picking apart the beliefs and showing the falsehoods but I guess that has all been said , and it is now only when they say something new and silly that we have a good talking point. They have got so bland. Their video talks send you sleep. The meetings are the metaphorical plate of cold porridge. I don’t know why anyone would be attracted these days.

That said, I can’t stay away.........

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

I know! Kitchen remodeling?! What's next arts and crafts?. I'll tell you what if you want jw news go to kim and mikey YouTube channel. Exjw reddit is ten times worse. It's 90 % stupid confused kids posting

• Simon
    Simon

You can chose to read, or not read, whatever topics you want.

What you can't do is tell other people what topics they can chose to participate in.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It's interesting to hear how others are doing and/or what they're thinking about or experiencing as members of regular society. As we all suspected, we are so much more than just former JW's and have more to talk about than criticism of our former religion.

If that's not enough, there's years of JW doctrinal discussions on record if you do a search.

You'd think AM3 would be running low on scotch by now and sneaking out of the compound.

Makes me wonder if Amazon delivers to Bethel and if so do they ship booze in a plain unmarked box?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I'll tell you what if you want jw news go to kim and mikey

Yeah! They really set a high bar for standards.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    Makes me wonder if Amazon delivers to Bethel and if so do they ship booze in a plain unmarked box?

I'd be willing to bet there is at least one still somewhere on the grounds of Wallkill and / or Patterson, quite possibly even Warwick.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Sometimes kim and mikey go off the rails a little bit. But they receive a ton of info of what's going on in wt land

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

James Jack, this post just makes me sad. This is a long, roundabout way to let me know you have no advice to give me about my kitchen remodel.

After being on this site for years, I have watched it change. The many positive threads have diminished and controversial threads have predominated.

I've looked back at my own posts and have frankly not liked what I've seen. I've had a grumpy, "you kids get off my lawn!" tone that doesn't really represent who I am.

In my real life, none of this kind of stuff ever gets talked about. Certainly never religion and politics. I'm known as friendly, funny and easy to get along with. Would people here know that with the recent tone of conversation? Maybe not.

The only way to amend that is to outpost negative comments with positive. I've chosen to do that by posting some personal purchase/finance threads recently, including my recent kitchen remodeling post as well as my recent auto purchase thread. I don't know why talking about the practicalities of buying a car has been appreciated, but asking for advice on remodeling a kitchen has been so controversial.

In my mind, living a successful ex JW life is one of the biggest challenges to be faced. With little exposure to the world, exJWs might not know how to buy a car, buy a house or manage financials. Some people don't know how to leave home, get a job, or rent an apartment. We're all at different places, yet we can all help each other. I'm sure some people here have a half million dollar net worth or more, while others have half a dollar to get through until the end of the month.

I'm not sure whether you're the guy who lived an approved life of JW poverty and think any talk of home ownership is out of the picture and therefore a moot subject, or you own your home, have remodeled it to perfection so as to not overimprove or underimprove, and therefore believe it's a stupid subject because "everybody knows that!"

If you're the latter, that's rather stingy, but if you're the former, I would say there are a lot of people here who know about homebuying and how it's key to building wealth, which, after all, just means security. Living in your primary investment vehicle is usually an excellent financial goal, and there is a lot of crowd wisdom here that many people would be more than willing to share and many would be more than willing to take.

I have often thought about starting a series of posts on practical information for living a good life after the JWs. Maybe topics like: moving out of your parents' house, finding a job, finding an apartment, buying a house, renovating a house, opening a checking/savings account, planning for retirement, investments, etc. Depending on your age leaving the JWs any of those topics might possibly be appropriate.

I, personally, have been out all of my adult life and am interested in my house as a primary investment vehicle, retirement investing, and career planning until retirement. I am thankful that, through the years, I've had lots of people willing to share what they know very unselfishly because they, as well as myself, want everyone to live their best exJW life.

In all kindness and charity,

GT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit