Canadians and Europeans, what do you think of your national health care ?

by RubaDub 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, they earn a lot, partly because it's a government sanctioned monopoly because they make it difficult and expensive to qualify and difficult for foreign trained workers to transfer their skills. The notional benefit is that it protects people, but does it? really? Medical malpractice is the leading cause of death - it blows away those killed by guns, traffic, and so on.

Healthcare is up there with 'education' - a country could spend it's entire GDP on those two areas and get little improvement to show for it, the government run supply not always delivering great results, but employing a lot of unionized workers - although we know government employees are never overpaid for the work they do ... right? Fun fact: Calgary-city run gold-courses pay salaries 3x (THREE!) the rate of private courses. Never trust governments to get value, they simply don't know how and have incentives to deliver the opposite.

BTW: I saw an interesting programme a while back which had an amazing stat, that something like 20% or less of the population is often responsible of consuming 80% or more of resources for things like police and A&E services, sometimes it can be 5% / 90%. Spending money on targeting and educating those people often did more to relieve pressure and costs on front-line services than simply paying ever-more for those services.

If people were burglarizing houses, the solution wouldn't be to have more tax-payer funded house repairers, it would be to stop the burglars. Prevention is better than cure. Too often though, governments spend money on grande white elephants under the guise of 'health' - a big stadium for an Olympics does little to nothing to improve health for the local population, it's a giveaway for a select few who's hobbies are often quite unhealthy. What they should spend on is less impressive, smaller, local facilities and education at school about nutrition and diet (but not the special-interest sponsored false advice that lobbyists pay government to promote).

The problem with healthcare is largely government created, the solution isn't more government control and spending, it's less involvement.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    I think there should be some cost to using it at the point of delivery

Yeah agree, and this is really crucial in making people have some skin in the process. Serves as an incentive to not go to the doctor for every little thing. This is the same incentive as co-pays and deductibles.

• Theonlyoneleft
    Theonlyoneleft

Also agree... if people had to pay let’s say £10/£15 to see a doctor in the emergency room they would think twice before clogging the space with vain trips.

They would have to be more responsible, assess their situation and make a decision.

Also... we wouldn’t have so many Fridays Saturdays and Sundays evenings spaces filled with the younger generation that seems to drink until oblivion.

The services that are needed to deal with those that are in real need are normally taken by silly people that put themselves at risk because they are drinking.

• Simon
    Simon

I would have A&E triage entrants into two simple categories: genuine accidents & sudden illness vs stupidity / self-inflicted.

People who get a stupid-sticker always go to the back of the line and wait until everyone else has been dealt with. They lose their benefits for a week.

NHS funding solved.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

People who get a stupid-sticker always go to the back of the line

Simon ...

That is funny. Some with the stupid sticker would not be smart enough to know they had the sticker!

We would need a ton of those stickers here in the US for people with no health insurance who line up in the public hospital emergency rooms when their kid sneezes or coughs. Then we (taxpayers) end up paying the $500 or so emergency room visit.

Rub a Dub

• Biblestudent1
    Biblestudent1

From Ireland here

Our health service gets nothing but criticism but it my experience its actually quite good.

There is a public & private system side by side. You can pay for private insurance and it can cost from maybe 600 euro upwards per year for a single person. That is bare bones, say 1000 euro per year (1,100 USD) for a decent plan. Cover your GP visits and helps you skip queues to meet consultants.

Once you get admitted into hospital the staff and service is very good. If you are a public patient you pay 75 euro per night to a maximum of 750 euro per year. If you have private insurance that might be covered, depends on your policy.

There are many problems.

• The frontline staff are overworked and underpaid. The whole service is a bottomless pit of bureaucrats and paper pushers who swallow up billions of taxpayers money and threaten union action if ever asked to modernise.
    • Consultants work both publicly and privately. Suppose you are told 5 month waiting list as you are public. Now tell the secretary you have insurance and certainly Sir we can see you next week.....
    • Privatising certain functions like sending lab testing abroad to save money had disastrous results leading to missed results and people dying. Why not do in-house? Mistakes happen but this was a scandal.
    • We need some system to deal with drunks and drug users who sure need casualty assistance but they intimidate others waiting. Ive heard of "drunk tanks" but I'm not sure if that is the solution.
    • Choke point at casualty getting admitted and seen to. Once you are in the system is quite good.
    • No problem getting an appointment to see a GP. I believe the British have an issue here
    • Our mental health services are abysmal and we have a huge suicide issue and this is always the first place to get cutbacks as well it's not headline grabbing like "new cancer clinic opened" and politicians don't win votes over it.

What is good

• Nobody goes bankrupt over healthcare costs while happens in the USA.
    • Our maternity system is world class
    • emmm its good in general I guess
  • stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

what completely pisses me off--is "sports" related injuries.

why should people who choose to spend their leisure time running, kicking or hurling various sized and shaped projectiles around, riding bikes down steep hillsides and other equally pointless activities expect to get free medical attention when they injure themselves ?

PAY UP OR PACK UP

• Crazyguy2
    Crazyguy2

I heard New Zealand has the best health care.

• LV101
    LV101

Why do so many Canadians come to the US for medical care? Maybe the Canadian government finally has enough MRI machines, etc. We know Europeans that have been traveling to Texas (Anderson Clinic) for decades for treatment. I'm not saying the healthcare in this country is great -- it's almost scary to have great health insurance because doctors are anxious to schedule you for surgery when your situation might correct itself (like a torn meniscus/knee which takes a lot of time to heal), etc. The great surgeons have surgeries scheduled for many weeks/mos in advance.

Many doctors walked away from their profession -- or were doing so 10-15 yrs. ago due to the exorbitant malpractice insurance rates. They couldn't afford the malpractice insurance in many states and many young doctors are so in debt from medical school they can't make a living. Something is radically wrong but I don't care to have socialized medicine. Medicare is good up to a point but you better have a great supplemental or secondary policy.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I have family in europe - the all make fun or shake their heads at the richest country in the world not providing basic healthcare for its citizens.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit