Cooked food and the evolution of man.

by Crazyguy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Landy
    Landy

I remember reading/hearing somewhere that it's thought that one of the jumps in human development came when we started to cook our food. Apparently the cooking increases the calorific content which is thought to have increased brain power.

Edit - Doh - just read the thread title and the OP - lol

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Ok I don't know how this thread evolved in to a bacon thread but that maybe a good thing , I too love me some bacon!!!!!

• Landy
    Landy
    Ok I don't know how this thread evolved in to a bacon thread but that maybe a good thing , I too love me some bacon!!!!!

Especially as the place Cofty mentioned isn't that far from me :)

• eva luna
    eva luna

I was a vegetarian for way to long. Going out in service on a Saturday morn just freaking hurt. ....I smelled Bacon. smile

Bacon , my favorite meat candy.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Cooking helps break down the cells in the plants and meats that we eat so that more of the food that is eaten can actually be used by the body, and it also kills pathogens that could dramatically shorten human lives. Cooking also is often a SOCIAL OCCASION, as many XJWs have discovered at meet ups. At some of te first XJW meetups, historians have discovered, individuals often ate M&Ms from their own pockets.

So we went from being lonely individuals eating a handful of berries that a raccoon had pissed on the day before to being the life of the party saying, "Let's try some mint with that stewed raccoon..."

Almost every culture, even GAMERS, has a traditional SURVIVAL FOOD that reminds us of the sufferring and deprivations of those who came before us. Vikings had hakarl and gamers have pretzels with no dip on them.

• Simon
    Simon

If god didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

• bohm
    bohm

"if you like the animal, why are you eating its food?"

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

100,000 years ago in a cave far, far away ...

CAVEMAN DUG: Hey Stu, we should squeeze the juice out of these grapes and put them in the water skin bags so we can have fresh juice in the morning with our rock fried bacon and dodo eggs.

CAVEMAN STU: I dunno. I don't care much for grape juice.

CAVEMAN DUG: Too late. I've already filled a bag for each of us. If you don't want yours I'll leave it here in the back of the cave and we can pick it up next year when we come back this way hunting. I'll just push this piece of cork in the top so it doesn't spill.

CAVEMAN STU: Whatever man.

One year later back at the cave.

CAVEMAN DUG: Hey Stu you gotta try this stale grape juice.

And the rest is history!

[Via Google Translate]

• Landy
    Landy

Another interesting sideline is that we've developed lactose tolerance only fairly recently as a species. Our natural state as adults is to lactose intolerant.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/12/27/168144785/an-evolutionary-whodunit-how-did-humans-develop-lactose-tolerance

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Another interesting sideline is that we've developed lactose tolerance only fairly recently as a species. Our natural state as adults is to lactose intolerant - fascinating.

Also, some ethnic groups have remained lactose intolerant as adults - such as Chinese people, for instance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit