Cooked food and the evolution of man.

by Crazyguy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I was watching a documentary on the development of man and they were indicating that the eating of high protein diet was helping man to grow a bigger brain and then went on to say that cooking the food was the breakthrough on how our brain became bigger then other animals that ate a lot of protein. Does this make any sense to you and what science if any shows cooked protein is better in any way over raw? Your thoughts.

• cofty
    cofty

The digestive system absorbs far more nutrients from cooked meat and veg than from raw.

Cooking was like free calories!

For example it used to be fashionable for bodybuilders to eat raw eggs. It is now known that your body can only absorb 50% of the available protein in raw egg. Cooking it boosts that to 98%

• Simon
    Simon

Also, there's no going back once you have tasted bacon.

Oh, sweet, sweet bacon.

It's hard for people to survive as 100% vegetarians even in todays supplement-rich society. We need protein, especially in bacon form.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Is there scientific proof of this because you often hear the exact opposite and that cooking food kills off many of the good qualities of the food?

• cofty
    cofty

I was in North Shields yesterday. There is a little grocers on the quayside that has been supplying the fishermen for over a century. They cure their bacon in the backshop. I had a huge roll with 3 slices of thick bacon, no butter, tomato sauce. I'm only just starting to get hungry again now!

• cofty
    cofty
    you often hear the exact opposite and that cooking food kills off many of the good qualities of the food?

The subject of nutrition attracts more pseudoscience than most topics. Some raw veg might lose some micronutrients if they are overcooked but your OP refers to macronutrients. The discovery of cooking was a huge step forward. I wonder if somebody dropped a lump of meat in the fire by accident?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

In addition to Simon's and Cofty's replies, the following: perhaps cooking food also might get rid of any harmful microbes?

Kinda like how boiling water sterilises it.

PS - oh man, I love the bacon ...

• Simon
    Simon
    cooking food kills off many of the good qualities of the food?

That's when old people boil vegetables to mush and pour all the flavour and goodness down the drain.

• naja
    naja

Even God likes it cooked:

Genesis 8:20: Then Noah built an altar to the LORD and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. 21 The LORD smelled the pleasing aroma…

• OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit