Noah's Ark : A structure that could never have been built in Noah's day

by RULES & REGULATIONS 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I would never say never... The ancient world never ceases to amaze us.

I do accept the questions about the seaworthiness of a floating timber box that is more 400 feet long....

we were not there. I guess the question will not be answered definitively.

• Simon
    Simon

"A structure that could never have been built in Noah's day"

It can't even be built in our day. What they are building there isn't a ship that can float, it's a huge chunk of reenforced concrete with steel supports and a wooden-looking shell mounted on top.

That thing isn't a boat. A boat that big can't be built out of wood.

A boat big enough for all the worlds species to live has never existed, whatever it's built from. You might be able to liquidize and fit everything into the biggest super-tanker, but nothing is going to live.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

It is a great story about judgment of sin. To begin to think in terms of how many sheep and asses could you stock on a boat is charging the ancient world with logical inconcistency

• waton
    waton
    many smaller companies were involved in the actual work.

Rad: all those workers, and only the elite surviving ? how does that fit the wt promises?

Pyramids were impossible too.

rtn: yes, good point, build at the same time as rhe ARK, but the builders knew the stones limitation, pile of sand shape.

its global judgment element

JB well, then the waters must have covered Everest 4000 years ago. Deluge, was huge, a 10 km lift. not a local inundation,

If a fake story, based on ignorance of the authors is the basis of your promises, have you no shame? should you not dig deeper?

• cofty
    cofty
    Pyramids were impossible too - RTN

Eh??

I guess the question will not be answered definitively - BB

It has been answered beyond all doubt there was no global flood, no boat that could hold a zoo and no we didn't descend from a single family 4000 years ago.

Joan - you just cherry-pick all the least embarrassing bits of the bible and pretend the rest is just a metaphor. Is there anything left to take literally?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Pyramids are possible, we have proof that they are. The ark, we have no proof of any structure that large and it would have been preserved and talked about in contemporary history until it was totally rotted away. If anything something that immense, would be like the pyramids, revered, imitated and documented at least until the Greeks/Romans.

Same goes for the Tower of Babel soon after, if they were halfway done as the Bible says and then suddenly dispersed, where are the ruins? There is more "evidence" of King David or King Solomon (which also never existed in contemporary history and retconned a local warlord into Jewish lore) than the ark.

Besides the obvious engineering issues, why did God need a physical device at all? He could just put them all on a "unusual high mountain" like Satan did to Jesus or even just China, which has a continuous written history through the flood time or just wiped the people out without all the rain (which a mass flood can't be found in the geological records)

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    It can't even be built in our day. What they are building there isn't a ship that can float, it's a huge chunk of reenforced concrete with steel supports and a wooden-looking shell mounted on top.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Is there anything left to take literally? " probably not Cofty ! it is the refuge of Bible believers, once you prove how very silly a Bible story is, then, "it must be metaphorical."

The problem is twofold with this, one, metaphors are open to lots of different interpretations, and two, if it nearly all comes down to metaphor, then it really is all a matter of faith, or belief, and that means trusting that something is true, with zero evidence, which, to my mind is indistinguishable from delusion, and Delusion is a very serious mental problem.

That means that all Bible believers suffer from a serious Mental Problem.

As a lot of memes say " change my mind".

• JoenB75
    JoenB75
    The only mystery to the pyramids is how they were raised. The sons of God in Genesis 6 possibly adresses the beings who helped the Egyptians in some way. Von Braun might have known these guys too ☺️
  • JoenB75
    JoenB75

The Bible is quite symbolic and yes it can sometimes be difficult to determine what is literally, especially when you advance in Preterism. There is a good scholary tradition behind considering Genesis 1-11 divine allegorical myths or as John Calvin would see it tales for the simple folks through time. A sideeffect is that it is pleasing to tease fundamentalists and atheists alike. The non literal nature and poetry of Genesis 1-3 settles it for me (magical trees and a talking snake were only intended to be literal in the minds of such people). You might call it dream time legends. Endlessly fascinating for sure ☺️

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit