Hypothetical question. There is no more guns on our streets, would the crime rate go down?

by James Mixon 34 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

It would eliminate drive by's (gangs)

Bank robbery.( handing the bank teller a note, this is stick up without a gun)

Domestic violence that resulted in the killing of mate, children and etc would go down.

Road rage. You may flip the guy off and that would be the end on it.

And of course, mass murders.

I know this will never happen, but I was thinking how many lives would be saved and how

it MAY lower the crime rate.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    guns are not legal in the UK yet we have shootings on a daily basis, gun crime is at endemic proportions here, logic tells me; ban anything and it will go underground perhaps to an even higher level when they were legal, I think an often quoted example here is the waiting list on the HNS for a non emergency operation is up to a year, know the right contacts and a gun and ammo can be delivered to you within an hour!
  • Simon
    Simon
    guns are not legal in the UK yet we have shootings on a daily basis, gun crime is at endemic proportions here, logic tells me; ban anything and it will go underground perhaps to an even higher level when they were legal, I think an often quoted example here is the waiting list on the HNS for a non emergency operation is up to a year, know the right contacts and a gun and ammo can be delivered to you within an hour!

Are the "Endemic proportions" compared to the US?

How many gunshot wounds do you think the NHS treats per capita compares to the US?

Manchester was a much larger city than Calgary but reports of people being shot were far less. And Calgary pales by comparison with many US cities that are a fraction of it's size.

You have no idea how safe the UK is by comparison. The Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown programme visited Glasgow, known as one of the rougher places in the UK but the level of violence was mostly fisticuffs and brawls, not the constant shootings that plague many US cities.

Of course not all of the US is violent cities but the gun crime seems to be a huge problem. Could guns be a factor in gun crime? Hmmmnn ...

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I doubt crime rates will do gown. However, senseless deaths like that of school children should. The arguments against gun regulations have two problems, in my view..

1) is always debated in a black and white scenario. Either we ban them or we do nothing. Never seems to be anyone willing to consider a middle ground.

2) The argument that bad guys will always get their guns. That is true. However, we can at least attempt to prevent school shooting or people going postal on co-workers. Those are opportunistic killers. Even the way they choose targets shows that they are targets of opportunity. They are not always after anyone in particular. They did it because they had easy access to the gun. Sure a knife would have killed them too. I would like to see the couple from the San Bernardino shooting trying to cause the same amount of damage using knives.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

I can imagine a world with less guns as being a safer place.

However I think the push towards gun laws are misguided. I don't think they will accomplish what the proponents expect.

Making something illegal =/= getting rid of it entirely.(sometimes it has the opposite effect)

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    Simon;Operation Trident
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

America the land of the free, the brave, and the most gun murders in developed countries

• Simon
    Simon
    The argument that bad guys will always get their guns

Yes, people trot this one out all the time - they seem to imagine that bad guys go to the bad-guys gun store which is supplied by bad-guy gun manufacturers.

Most bad-guy weapons are stolen - remove or secure the guns and you remove the supply or at the very least constrain it.

It won't be instant but it will happen.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

James Mixon:

It would eliminate drive by's (gangs)

Yes, though crossbows will substitute for some of that. Deaths

Bank robbery.( handing the bank teller a note, this is stick up without a gun)

Bank robbery is the most desperate type of crime with the lowest chance of success. The fact that many banks have bullet proof separation from the public will put an end to that.

Domestic violence that resulted in the killing of mate, children and etc would go down.

The rate of domestic crime won't come down because that type of person will substitute his weapons.

Road rage. You may flip the guy off and that would be the end on it.

Mostly, but there are incidents like Priscilla Ford in Nevada who used her car as a weapon plowing into a crowd killing 6 and injuring 23.

And of course, mass murders.

See above. It just takes imagination to wreak havoc. I could give a few ideas how terrorists can wreak havoc without things that go bang and with simple preparations but it's better not to.

I know this will never happen, but I was thinking how many lives would be saved and how

it MAY lower the crime rate.

It won't lower crime rates, it'll just change their character.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I guess we will have to wait for the earthly paradise. Which will be worst, Kingdom songs

singing everyday or our world today. I would still take the world we live in today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit