The position of Christ in the Godhead

by JW Answers 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

excuse me, but I don't see in the Bible Jesus position in the godhead...( don't see the word godhead!)

so I will just choose to believe what the Bible really says as to his position, which you can choose to believe or not.

Ps 110:1 Jehovah declared to my Lord;" Sit at my Right Hand until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet. ( quoted at Acts 2:34 Matt22:44 Heb 1:14 )

Acts 2:33 Therefore, because he was exalted to the Right Hand of God and received the pomished holy spirit from the Father, he has pured out what you see and hear.

Acts 5:31 God exalted this one as Chief Agent and Savior to his Right Hand, to give repentace to Israel and forgiveness of sins.

Notes: Ps 110:1 doesn't say Jesus will place his enemies at his feet-which he would have if he were GOD

Act 2:33 he received holy spirit from the Father...If he were God, why would he give it to himself?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Colossians 2:9
    For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Acts 17:29
    Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Romans 1:20
    For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

You will never understand the tripartite nature of the Godhead until you accept the tripartite nature of man described in scripture because Jesus was also fully man.
  • enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Sea Breeze...thanks for pointing out a word that never registered in my mind. A quick research does reveal, as per usual, different versions of Bible translate it differently. I will never understand the "tripartite", because there is no way anyone could ever convince me that Jesus is part of a trinity. The only mystery I see with the trinity ( which I have heard said is a mystery ) is that anyone believes it to start with.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

enoughisenough - Trinity only means a tri-union. The bible says that you are a trinity. Do you believe that?

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

Sea Breeze, if you want to explain how I am a trinity, go for it. But the way Christendom uses the word is to teach that Jesus is also Almighty God, NOT BUYING !

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

"May your whole spirit, soul and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus" (I Thessalonians 5:23)

Do you believe you are a spirit, soul and body?

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Scripture taught me that Jesus died for my sins.

He was put to death by men.

I figured from a young age that Jesus couldn't have been God because if he was God then it meant that mere men had killed God.

Jesus died. God cannot die. Either Jesus died or he didn't. If he didn't then we're still under the condemnation of sin and death. If he did die, he was murdered by humans. Therefore he cannot have been God Almighty. Unless you're saying that God can be killed.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

@Lost in the Fog,

I figured from a young age that Jesus couldn't have been God

Why would you elevate the thinking of a child over what the bible says? I'm not suggesting you must believe the bible, but at least find out what it says before you abandon it. Then, you can make an informed decision.

The reason XJW's have a hard time with the tri-nature of Jesus is because they never accepted what the bible said about the tri-nature of man. We only thought we believed the bible as JW's, when in reality we were trained to introduce different meanings and definitions to certain biblical terms. In a sense, we were taught a different language that made us unable to reason and communicate biblically.

Let's take the word "death" for example. In the 18th century the rise of materialism philosophy redefined this word to mean non-existence or annihilation. Simultaneous with this NEW definition, Russell started preaching the same thing.

But if you look into the dictionary at the time you can get an accurate definition of the word death which includes the following:

9. In theology, perpetual separation from God, and eternal torments; called the second death Revelation 2:10.

10. Separation or alienation of the soul from God; a being under the dominion of sin, and destitute of grace or divine life; called spiritual death

When we leave the WT, we take a lot of unbiblical philosophy with us that gets camouflaged by the larger society around us that also largely has materialism as its world-view of existence.

The bible writers assume that readers know that we are a tri-partite being constructed with a soul, body & spirit. Man is not whole unless all three of these are joined together in one being. Usually, when these parts become separated, with the demise of the body, a death occurs.

This is clear in the case of Rachel:

"And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin. And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath, which is Bethlehem". - Gen. 35

We have the same problem with the word "Resurrection". What the WT says it means is not what it means. Resurrection ALWAYS is the reversal of death - a re-constitution of the three elements of man, soul, spirit & body... a rejoining of the three.

There is no such thing as being resurrected to spirit life in heaven as the WT teaches. Souls have been going to heaven, not resurrected persons.

Now, with these biblical definitions we can ask who raised Jesus from the dead? Didn't he say that he would?

No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. - John 10: 18

In reality, the Bible indicates that all three Persons of the Godhead were involved in Jesus’ resurrection. Galatians 1:1 says that the Father raised Jesus from the dead. First Peter 3:18 says that the Spirit raised Jesus from the dead (see also Romans 1:4, and note that Romans 8:11 clearly says that God will resurrect believers “through His Spirit”). And in John 2:19 Jesus predicts that He will raise Himself from the dead (see also John 10:18). So, when we answer the question of who resurrected Jesus, we can say God did. And by that we can mean it was the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

These scriptures prove that Jesus was fully man and fully God, not just one or the other. When Jesus died, his spirit (God) separated from his lifeless body. He resurrected himself (by rejoining the three parts), just as he predicted he would. This event astonished much of the Jewish world and birthed "one new man" made up Jew and Gentile in the church age based on faith and not law.

Unless you're saying that God can be killed.

Yes, that is just exactly what the bible claims in Acts 20: 28

"Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood."

The bible is claiming that Jehovah not only made you but loved you enough to bear the punishment due you, in himself. He became a man for this purpose, born to die. This is a very different God than the Jehovah portrayed in WT literature.

Again, you don't have to accept any of this. But this is Christianity, take it or leave it.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Jehovah's Witnesses are preaching another gospel and another Jesus. A gospel that does not save 8.5 million members and a Created angelic Jesus that no one can even have a relationship with. There is something gravely wrong when your religion prohibits you from calling on the Jesus, sharing your burdens with Him and telling Him that you love Him for dying for your sins...and living a life of victory based on what He paid for.

https://youtu.be/RQ33uSUWJjE

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

it's bad enough to have been mislead by men claiming to be the anointed...but many have gone back to dishonoring God Almighty and his Son, Jesus Christ with other false beliefs. It is disgusting! Matt 16:16 Simon Peter answered: "You are the Son of God." In response Jesus said to him;"Happy you are Simon son of Jonah, because flesh and blood did not reveral it to you, but my Father in the heavens did. ( Jesus here on Earth, God in Heaven)

Jesus didn't say to him," no Peter, I am God Almighty and I am revealing that to you. Jesus was on this earth and walked among the people and NEVER claimed to be God or tell the people, I am a man, but I am actually God almighty as well...1 Tim 2:5 For there is ONE GOD and one Mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus....

If Jesus were God Almighty, he obvisously didn't require a mediator as he was talking with the people on this earth.

Matt 3 :17 Look! also, a voice from the heavens said: " This is my Son, the beloved, whom I have approved."( Jesus didn't say: did you hear that folks? I just approved of myself! - Jesus being baptized on earth. God speaking from Heaven.

If Jesus is also Almighty God, then the things he taught while on the earth were LIES-and who wants to worship a liar!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit