So, When Did They Stop Singing?

by Atlantis 18 Replies latest jw friends

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

Good gravy, that statement reads like something written by a pompous ass drunk on (not necessarily in this order) his own sense of self-importance and unfiltered corn whiskey.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

One factor that has developed in recent years, at least in the US, is that of copyright and royalties to songwriters. There are organizations which specialize in collecting royalties on behalf of the songwriters or copyright holders, which threaten lawsuits unless paid. I know of some churches which have to pay a sum every year so they can use their hymnbooks, even though they had been using the same hymns for years before without paying. The WT has changed their songs so that none of the tunes or words are the same or even resemble any existing hymn.

• luckynedpepper
    luckynedpepper

Glen Campbell?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wish they never started singing. I have awful memories of revoltingly bad songs from the Jobos.

• LV101
    LV101

We had a few who 'thought' they were gifted vocalists. Apparently, one was a voice instructor who left area and another couple others were professional. One was from a family of talented folk and another one told me she grew up singing as a child at Radio City -- she had strong voice and could harmonize to block out some of the noise. The entire family 'thought' they were professional level but chose to be JWs, etc., etc. Their father could have been one of the world's greatest musicians, of course. Surely it would have been recognized having been musician for decades!! Eric Clapton was proclaimed world's greatest acoustic (?) guitarist at like age 18, whatever. Unreal the JW power egos.

If I have to hear about Sinatra - between older friends (really old friends🤪) and JWs ever again I'll shoot myself! Ok - he had a decent voice range but he wasn't that unique. I won't even go to a restaurant called Sinatra (Encore/Wynn) and I love Italian food.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    LV - We had a few who 'thought' they were gifted vocalists.

Yes. the looney old women with their tuneless, 'ooOOOOoooooOOOOooooo', always gave me the horrors.

Sinatra

I'm not a fan, I think he was sh1t but my Dad liked him.

• LV101
    LV101

Punk - my mother was gaga over him per my older cousins. Gads this town -- one of the decent steakhouses has his ugly booth. At least 2 couples always play his horrible music if entertaining and will ask what music I like/listen to and before I can reply they ask, "Sinatra!" I have to be nice -- even a Sinatra station on the Sirius radio station - gag me! Only station they listen to. Even the wife who is my age is brainwashed.

Missed the Rolling Stones concert couple wks. ago here -- Jagger is pictured jumping. Hope he lives to return and jump. They're amazing.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I understand that as soon as Rutherford kicked-the-bucket, they all started singing again. JW's did not agree with Rutherford's interpretation.

On 9th August 1944 at the Convention in Buffalo, F W Franz released a new song book "Kingdom Service Song Book" available at 10c per copy. New song released "Take Sides With Jehovah" which many on here will remember. There was a a talk leading up to this showing why JW's should be singing. WT September 15, 1944 P285.

George

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Singers in sign language congregations can be outstanding but... you never hear them because they sign the songs.

We used to have a very active sign language group but usually everyone in attendance were able to hear just fine. It was very interesting watching them sign the songs. Made you want to join in. Actually it was the most interesting part of the meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit