Witnesses were Anti vaccine till 1950!

by Witness 007 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

They once regarded organ transplants as the equivalent of cannibalism. And they still expect the rank and file to reject blood transfusions. They're not exactly the place where you'd go for reliable health info.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

One of my first memories is of a 10 year old boy with polio.

In this modern age religious schools don’t require vaccinations and a lot of parents choose not to vaccinate their kids. Resulting in measles epidemic before covid it seems. Also, in the past DOH went around shutting down schools that didn’t comply with vaccination laws, these schools were almost always if not always religious.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Until the 1980s they were correct to be against vaccines, the wording used to be very strong and then it got lighter, but still against it in the 80s.

Then the older ones died off and this new gov bod came out and said we are never against vaccines 🤯

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WITNESS 007:

Even though I was born after this, I am grateful I was not raised a Jehovah’s Witness. I am glad my childhood wasn’t further complicated by naive parents listening to foolish advice from a stupid religion.

Even the Catholic grade school I attended had a vaccine program. I believe I got more than one vaccine there. One I remember is us children lining up in the auditorium and getting that sugar cube with the bitter pink stuff on it.

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"but still against it in the 80s."

Cite? I and everyone I know were fully vaccinated as children in the 70's before starting school. I never remember hearing anything anti vaccine in the 80's even stated as someone's personal opinion. Probably 1/2 to 3/4 of the elders in my congregation were family members including the PO, so i'm sure i'd remember if that had still been the thinking.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I don't recall hearing anything about vaccines either. I got all of my shots in the early 70s as well. I think my parents were of the generation that had to suffer through many diseases that were all but eradicated by vaccines, so there wasn't much anti-vaxx sentiment at the time. Humanity lurches forward in a three steps up, two steps back fashion. There is the old saying that those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it, but I think that's just our natural disposition- we repeat the past many, many times before we learn our lesson.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

The last mention of slightly against vaccination was a WT in the 1980s, it said something negative and that caution should be used when deciding

This is very wise, this is my view now and I’m in total agreement.

the interesting thing is during the hight of the pandemic 2 yrs ago they had an article on the front page saying JWs are not against vaccines and they even quoted this WT from the 80s. But they only partly quoted it with a pro vaccine stance, if they didn’t leave the bits out that said caution should be used then it would have showed a neutral stance or even slightly against. They have done a total U turn now and completely opposite.

I wish they didn’t do this U turn.

I wish they kept on saying caution should be used when deciding if to take vaccinations. During the hight of the pandemic there is no way they were neutral or left it upto conscience, they were so fiercely saying go get fully vaccinated

We are told to be neutral with anything political and these shot’s definitely become political. We were basically told that if we were neutral then we are going against the governing body.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

In the early 60s, my father asked the Society if it was OK to be vaccinated before we went to where 'The Need Was Great'. It was OK'd by the Society, so we were vaccinated and went,.

In hindsight, none of his converts were saved from anything that the Society was saying his god was going to do, Look up the pictures in the Paradise book.

Many of his converts have passed away at ages much younger than Dad was telling them that they would reach, "in this wicked system of things."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit