Revised NWT released in Spanish

by Corney 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

@Tenatious: "No, LOL, that's actually John Goodman from the film "The Gambler" with Mark Wahlberg. Very good movie. I liked his character and his demeanor. Great actor. Wahlberg also did a good job."

Thanks for letting me know that. Now I can rest a bit better knowing that you are not as mean looking as your avatar photo hints at. Lol. It shows how far off I am from the latest in Hollywood, since I see more foreign series overall.

@smiddy3: The word for word Translation of The Christian Greek Scriptures published by the WTB&TS in 1969 read "In beginning the word was,and the word was with God and the word was God." NWT. KI.

Not quite, because the KIT translation between the lines read instead: "In beginning was the Word, and the Word was toward the God, and god was the Word."

The small g in clause c was intended to show that it was a predicate noun extolling qualitativeness, and this qualitative factor (i.e. divine) is accepted grudgingly by many, if not the majority of scholars today, such as Daniel B. Wallace, professor of New Testament Studies at Dallas Theological Seminary. These scholars accept the notion that the predicate noun (god, divine) in the clause is a description of the substantive. The predicate noun in small g lacks the article in the clause, and is said to be toward the God in the previous clause. Hence the need for a distinction between the two nouns. Verse 2 repeats this message for emphasis. Thus, the quote as you presented it is misleading, since it conveys the opposite of what the translators intended. Wishing you good!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

2000+ years after Jesus Christs death humans are still arguing debating about language and interpretations of scripture that is supposedly the word of God to Humankind .

Are we for real ? God gave ,for the better term, mankind his written word 2000+ years ago for the benefit of mankind to gain salvation because he doesn`t want any to be destroyed . right ?

Are you kidding me ? Why did he give these messages instructions 2000 years ago in what amounts to dead languages now that need to be interpreted by linguists skilled in foreign languages .? And by imperfect men who may have their own agenda .?

Why doesn`t he speak now with all of the modern technology that`s available world wide and we wouldn`t have all of the confusion / debates about his word and what he wanted to convey to us in the first place ?

Why has he been so silent now ? Isn`t this the best time in human history to speak up now ?

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

smiddy3,

You pose solid questions all the time. I don't pretend to have the answers.

The whole situation becomes a test of faith. I sometimes wonder if God allows such situations in order to reveal who has real faith. But the Bible is like no other book. It has inmense value for all mankind.

• Corney
    Corney

Contrary to what some might expect, printed copies of the revised Spanish NWT will be offered to non-JWs (source, p. 3):

The following announcement is for Spanish congregations only:

3. Use of Revised New World Translation: Now that most Spanish-speaking congregations have a modest stock of the revised New World Translationon hand, please proceed with offering this translation of the Bible to those studying the Bible, regular return visits, or other sincerely interested people in the field ministry who express a desire to have a Bible. Of course, we would not leave our precious literature with those who do not appreciate it. (Matt. 7:6) When engaging in public witnessing using a table or a cart, publishers should not display Bibles. However, they may have Bibles available to offer to individuals who request one or who demonstrate sincere interest in the truth.

If you would benefit from having additional copies for your personal use, there is no restriction on requesting them at the literature counter. The regular-size and pocket-size editions are not special-request items, and efforts will be made to maintain a modest supply at the Kingdom Hall so that Bibles are readily available for use in the ministry.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Watchtower wrote (see above quote): Of course, we would not leave our precious literature with those who do not appreciate it. (Matt. 7:6) When engaging in public witnessing using a table or a cart, publishers should not display Bibles. However, they may have Bibles available to offer to individuals who request one or who demonstrate sincere interest in the truth. (Emphasis added.)

I have a problem with this statement. The WTS have gone from pushing literature to the public as they did for nearly a century, to this weird situation where ‘they don't want publishers to display Bibles.’ I thought the Bible was their "main" publication, as they have claimed for so long, but now ONLY "individuals who request one or who demonstrate sincere interest in the truth" can get one. So the brothers are forced to discriminate between individuals ‘who demonstrate sincere interest in the truth and those who don't.’ Where does that leave me, a disassociated person who values Bible versions? If I present myself to a local cart in our territory, and request a copy, they will likely deny me one as one who don't deserve it. Would not that be a form of judging? Will Jesus approve such behavior? Even doubting Thomas was accepted by his Lord, and was not denied further biblical instruction.

The Bible is God's Word available to everyone, even to criminals if they so wish to grasp it. But this WT directive sends this message that if someone doesn't meet their religious standards, they must go elsewhere... to Christemdom, if need be, to get one. Oh, they will likely justify this odd behavior by providing their open jw.org website.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Selling magazines, books and Bibles used to be their major source of income, and lucrative it was too.

Now, without charges for the literature, it’s a net loss to print and publish any material, so they try to get away with as little as possible.

Maybe in time they will eliminate print publications altogether, or get outside contractors to produce a few publications on their behalf.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit