Irradiate or not???

by Latte 24 Replies latest social family

• Latte
    Latte

Hi guys,

Just wonder what you all thought of the following topic....thanks!

http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/multimedia/webpage/irradiatedqa/

Irradiation can be used to kill bacteria that cause food poisoning, such as salmonella, campylobacter and E. coli. It can also delay fruit ripening and help stop vegetables such as potatoes and onions from sprouting. It is used in many parts of the world because it is an effective way of killing bacteria and with some food, such as spices that are dried in the sun, irradiation kills bacteria without changing their flavours or aromas.

I have recently purchased cartons of plums with an best before date of say 3days. I found that over two weeks later the plums had failed to ripen enough to eat. Clearly this fruit had been irradiated, with the result that they are really ruined/not fit for consumption.

What do you think? For me the topic of irradiation is new, if I'm honest, I really don't like the sound of it.

Thoughts anyone?

• Seven
    Seven

Hi Latte,

I've been filling my freezer with irradiated beef burgers for the summer barbie season for about 2 years now and have no complaints. They are of high quality and I'd rather serve these to guests with small children than to be making trips to the ER. Re: irradiated fruits and vegetables. I grow all of my own fruits and veggies so I can't help you out there.

• Latte
    Latte

Thanks Seven!

It seems that certain foods take to it better.

What really worries me is that if the food cannot decay at the normal rate, then how can our digestive system cope with it? I know quite a few that suffer with IBS. Could irradiation be contributory? I don't know, but I know that I certainly would prefer food grown & kept naturally.

I cannot say that I have noticed any labelling on irradiated foods over here in the UK. I only stumbled on the subject whilst reading a health book.

I would love to be able to grow my own....good for you seven!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I have no worries about irradiated food and would not hesitate to include it in my diet.

What do you think irradiation does to the food?

What is it you fear?

You mention that food does not rot as quickly after it is irradiated. That's right! The reason it doesn't rot as quickly is because the microorganisms that cause rotting have been killed by the irradiation.

With the increase of global food sources, it would be possible for organisms - parasites and germs - that are not a part of your regular environment to be introduced to you via the food you eat. Irradiation is one way to reduce this threat. If our domestic beef and other red meats were irradiated, concerns about E. Coli outbreaks would drop rapidly.

I don't think irradiation would work with "Mad Cow" disease. Prions are tricky devils...

Irradiation can be thought of as a form of higher-tech pasteurization.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Sounds good. But it is not. The body cannot absorb the nutrients as it used to from non-irradiated foods such as meat and fruits. You won't notice anything until several years down the road.

Also, radiation is accumulated in several glands and organs in the body. Over a period of time, guess what? Your body will "shut down." This will take place in a variety of ways............Enjoy and good dinning!

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Which is exactly why I don't own a microwave!

If they want to sell irradiated food, I say let them. Let the market decide. I'll put good money down that says your average shopper will pass up food labeled as "irradiated" in favor of what they've always bought or in favor of "organic" or "natural".

Mike.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    radiation is accumulated in several glands and organs in the body.

False. Radiation, by definition "radiates" away from its source; it passes through the food, killing the bugs on its way. You're probably thinking of radiactive isotopes. Since none are introduced into irradiated food, your fears are unfounded.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Stephanus, Thank you for your information. You are partly correct. The information I supplied is correct as written.

My knowledge and experience come from working with and designing (R&D) radioactive energy systems. This is all I can say on this topic.

Tid bit:It is safe to say that the current laws of physics do not always apply in all situations as there are NEW laws and discoveries yet to be taught to the average physics major.............. the only thing "we" need is a responsible population and all energy would be free for the taking................

KIM

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Mr Kim,

I'm not saying you're wrong, but where do you get your facts? I'm quite undecided about the whole irradiated food deal.

• Latte
    Latte

Bendrr and all,

If they want to sell irradiated food, I say let them. Let the market decide. I'll put good money down that says your average shopper will pass up food labeled as "irradiated" in favor of what they've always bought or in favor of "organic" or "natural".

Whilst I agree that the ‘shopper will decide’ I have to say that I feel that we all could be much better informed, the internet sites available seem to be aiming to eliminate any concerns over irradiated food.

My main concerns are:

1) Over here in the UK vegetables and fresh fruit are quite, if not very expensive, as most fruit is imported (from what I’ve observed) Here in the UK, irradiation is most likely more widely used than in the warmer climates, due to their being able to grow more successfully. It’s the fruit and vegetables which concern me. The government has stated that we should all have, at least FIVE vegetables a day....now that for UK’ers is very expensive.

2) I have a bag of sweet potatoes sat on my kitchen worktop that has a use by display by date of 19 th APRIL….hardly any show of decay on them!! Why....could they of been irradiated?? I think most probably. (sigh) Incidentally they were produce of USA, but I know that it’s the same from many other countries also. It was the same recently with two lovely looking Pineapples I bought - they decay from the inside.

3) It is very difficult to actually enjoy fruit over here, due to the taste being lost, by what I believe to be caused by irradiation. Plums really don’t taste like plums anymore, and they nearly always end up in the bin, due to there never getting to the ripe stage where they are ready for eating….they decay from the inside. Again MY money thrown into my bin, thanks to irradiation.

4) The internet site available do nothing to inform ‘Joe Public’ properly. I do think that there is a sinister (if you like) side to irradiated food, just when will know what that is??

Thanks for all you interesting comments, I would love to know more of what you all think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit