How Do You Feel About Completely Open Borders?

by minimus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• kramer
    kramer

I always enjoy watching people of a nation created by immigrants looking for a better life, slagging off and pulling up the drawbridge for the current immigrants looking for a better life.

• waton
    waton
    pulling up the drawbridge for the current immigrants looking for a better life.

Yeah, like hispanics voting for trumph.

The problems with many immigrants is, that they will not assimilate, learn the language, but create a different society, displacing, replacing the great order, and establishing the failed cultures that they fled.

• Magnum
    Magnum

kramer, it's a different situation. Even if it weren't, though, uncontrolled immigration can't continue. My wife and I rescue animals. We currently take care of about 50, and we're at our limit; we just can't take in anymore. Even if the current immigrant situation were the same as it was with the settlers who built this nation, it wouldn't change the fact that there are limits as to what a system can support.

I used to live in a state where, a few years ago, anybody could be a general contractor. All one had to do was get a building permit from his county for a house, build it or have it built by subcontractors, and sell it. The problem is that way too many people started building houses to sell. The market was flooded with lower quality houses. The state finally changed the situation; one now has to have a state-issued general contractor's license with liability insurance and a worker's comp policy.. At first, maybe it didn't matter so much; houses were needed; but, then it got out of hand.

Similarly, at first, the field was wide open for settlers to come here and build a nation, but the situation is not like that now. I could go on and on about how wrong what you said is. Take, for example, some new gym or athletic club. At first, it might advertise and cry out for members, but, then it might reach a point where it has to turn people away or put them on a waiting list because it has a limit as to how many it can handle.

You do realize that the situation is not the same now as it was with the settlers who built this nation or those who came in a controlled, legal manner, don't you?

• waton
    waton

For all practical purposes, it is open borders now, at the southern US, Europe.

The entries are lawless, illegal, imposed on law abiding citizens.

we are heading for a society dominated by scofflaws.

• kramer
    kramer

The worlds richest country is hardly bursting at the seams is it? Ever been to Wyoming , or Wisconsin? "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore“ :)

• Magnum
    Magnum

kramer, that last comment indicates naivety. Geography or available land area is NOT THE POINT. The "system" is what I referred to; that includes all parts of society, the economy, the healthcare system, etc. Illegal immigrants aren't going to flock to Wyoming and Wisconsin. Are all the children at the border going to go to Wyoming and Wisconsin?

• minimus
    minimus

Will there be a Covid surge with all the illegal aliens flooding the country?? Perhaps some think these people do not have COVID?? I dunno

• titch
    titch

Well, I do think that all countries will have to have borders, and borders that are NOT completely open. I mean, by having borders, it's a country's way of saying, Hey, this is OUR territory, our turf, our "real estate" and the only way that you can come in is by doing it in a legal way.

Now, this post reminds me of something that I heard the Greek keyboardist musician, Yanni, say to his audience at the "Live At The Acropolis" concert, that he performed in 1993. (BTW, that CD was the very first album of his that I bought, and I appreciate and enjoy his music very much!) Anyway, about half way through his concert, he stated that he has become friends with several Space Shuttle astronauts, who said that as they were orbiting Earth, looking down, it's very hard to "make out" the different countries that are below them. And, that's because the "boundary lines" do not exist, they are not visible, from space. The boundary lines are put there by humans and printed on maps, but are "imaginary". And, Yanni went on to say that he foresaw a time in the future, when there would no longer be any national boundaries, because, we, as the human race, are "all one." That's a nice, "idealistic" sentiment, Yanni, but I don't think that it will happen for a loooooong, time. But, isn't that the mindset of JWs, that some time in the future, the Earth will be just one, big, global Paradise planet, and there won't be any national boundaries any more? Yeah, something like that.....Best Regards, All

Titch

• minimus
    minimus

Titch, that would be paradise!

• waton
    waton

well, if children coming over the border, put theim in to boarding schools and teach them the language of the land.

beware of religious & pedo teachers though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit