Any Others of the "Anointed"?

by Hernandez 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hernandez
    Hernandez

I was baptized in 1985, was a regular pioneer, ministerial servant, and on the way to becoming an elder when I left the Witnesses in 1999. I also was one of those who claimed and (at the time ) believed I was one of the anointed.

I am wondering if there are any others here who also claimed they were of the anointed? What was it like for you? How did you come to that conclusion? How were you treated when you made your hope known? How do you feel about your claim now that you are out?

As for me I thought it was time to find other ex-Witnesses and share what I experienced. Perhaps it might help others. Here are my answers to my own questions.

What was it like for you to be of the anointed?

Because I really wanted to be a good Jehovah's Witness, I knew I had to be honest with myself and others, especially with Jehovah. After reading the Bible, especially the gospels and the epistles of Paul, I felt that the hope of heavenly life was the only one I could honestly say I was being called to. The good news of the kingdom preached by Jesus, his teaching, and those of the apostles in the Bible made sense for me only if I honestly acknowledged one conclusion: God holds out eternal life in heaven. After 3 1/2 years of secretly dealing with this in silence, I felt I had to begin partaking at the Memorial. To do not do so felt dishonest, and being dishonest was lying, and lying was sinful. I felt I could not be faithful as a Witness if I was not honest about the hope I was reading about in Scripture and how I was responding to it.

How did I come to the conclusion that I was of the anointed?

I had not read the Bible thoroughly before I became a Jehovah's Witness. Now that I was, I felt It necessary to read and study it thoroughly. When I came across texts that spoke about heaven being a hope held out to followers of Christ, that stated the Spirit was bearing witnesses with my own conscience that I could God "Father" on the basis of Christ's sacrifice, and matching my experience with what I read from the Watchtower publications on the subject, I felt there was no other choice to make. It would be wrong to hope in a paradise earth, at least for me. I never excpected I would literally be punished by the Jehovah's Witnesses for believing the words of the Bible.

How were you treated when you made your hope known?

Badly. Elders came to my home and would yell at me. "Why would Jehovah choose you, someone relatively new to the Society, to be one of the anointed remnant? It would make more sense that he would anoint me, an elder, who has been raised as a Witness!" This happened several times. During this period it was taught that Jehovah had stopped giving the heavenly hope after 1931, and even when I left in 1999 this had not yet changed. One elder, who claimed to be anointed, was abusively mean about it as well. "It's impossible and too close to the end," he would say to me. He made sure I was practically shunned by others to such an extent, I had to leave town to worship Jehovah freely. From the time I joined the Witnesses until I left the number of the anointed remnant was generally showing a decline each year, and this decreasing number was taught to be evidence that we were in the last days. Thus I never felt I was being unfaithful despite the punishing treatment from others.

How do you feel about your previous claim now that you are out?

A bit puzzled, but not because of my conclusion while I was a Witness. Looking back, what else are you supposed to do as a Jehovah's Witnesses but read the Bible, study it and be honest about what you read? The hope of being with God in Heaven is what is stressed in the Christian Greek Scriptures. Even the Watchtower publications will tell you that. I did exactly what the elders and the Society instructed, and this was the conclusion I came up with. Following instructions, however, was obviously not always the path to approval among them, I came to realize. I was striving to act with a clear conscience before God and man in accordance with the Scriptures, and the Witnesses were punishing me for it.

I didn't leave the Witnesses due to conflict on this or any other issue really. After a while I no longer cared if anyone accepted my conclusions or not. It was in the mid-1990s when the Awake! magazine dropped the "1914" statement that I realized something was up. Then, when they changed the definition of "generation" to mean something like "worldly contemporaries" void of some connection to 1914, I began to put things together. The way elders had treated me and were treating others, as well as the impossibility of some of their doctrinal claims made me just pack up and leave one day. I had joined because I wanted to serve God and others in honesty and humility, in faithfulness and especially truth. This was definitely not any of that.

Today, many years after leaving, I have a family, a beautiful home, a wonderful and prosperous career, and I even joined the most hated JW religion of them all, Catholicism, enjoying every Christmas, Halloween, birthday celebration since. I have occasionally wondered what was happening to those I left behind, but I never longingly looked back. I've never been lonely since leaving either, never been without help when I neededit, and I did not experience Armageddon when the 1914 generation passed off the earthly scene (which I am sure it has by now...at least the doctrine has been discarded, so it doesn't matter if any are really left anyway).

But best of all when I now read the Bible and see the words of Jesus and the apostles promising heaven, I am not chastised for believing it. I can be honest and live with a clear conscience and not be punished by congregation elders for doing so.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Thank you so much for sharing. This is very interesting. I know that it's quite a journey and a process for JWs who consider themselves not to be anointed, so I imagine that for you the process of leaving was a little steeper.

Anyway, you shared this:

I felt there was no other choice to make. It would be wrong to hope in a paradise earth, at least for me. I never excpected I would literally be punished by the Jehovah's Witnesses for believing the words of the Bible.

Could you elaborate a little more on this? I have a hard time understanding what makes some people believe that they are anointed. I know of many other JWs who feel and experience themselves all the things you did when started reading and studying the Bible, but they didn't feel like being one of the anointed. So my questions is, why the same bible study that many JWs have made you feel "chosen", where so many others, as fanatical as they become, still don't come to that conclusion?

• Hernandez
    Hernandez

That is a question I will probably never have an answer for either. I've asked it as well.

I never felt "chosen," however. Like most Christians through history, when I read the Christian Scriptures and saw where Jesus promised a heavenly reward to those who followed him, I said "okay." It was that simple.

While studying to be a Witness however I never questioned that Christians had a choice of eternal destinies. I believed what the Live Forever book said and what the elders who studied with me said.

But exposure to the Scriptures changed this. I began to read through the Bible after this and everything changed. The more I read the Bible, especially the "New Testament," the only hope there was in its passages was the heavenly one.

When I left, I realized it was the same experience for your average non-JW Christian too. Orthodox, Protestant and Catholic Christians never read the Gospel and say: "No, I disagree with what Jesus and the apostles say about eternal life in heaven. I'm destined to live on earth." I guess that was what happened with me. I never understood how people in the Kingdom Hall could read the New Testament books and say its promises and texts didn't apply to them.

Maybe it is like the "overlapping" generations teaching. Nothing in the Scriptures says that the "generation" of Matthew 24 refers to "two overlapping groups." Why only "two"? Why not three? Four? 72? And why do they overlap and exactly where? None of that is found in the Scriptures, but millions and millions of Jehovah's Witnesses believe it.

Christians aren't told there are two different hopes in the Scriptures either, but the Witnesses believe it because they are told to, I guess. Besides this I have no answer really. I don't know.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Thanks for sharing. I always wondered how/why some felt they were anointed.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Me. I felt compelled to start an intensive study of the New Testament for some reason.

My story is too long to tell. I'll PM you if I get the energy. I'm drinking right now...

DD

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I once asked a member of the anointed (who was not respected by some others) why he thought he was of them. He said that he always felt different, for example he was able to feel the earth rotating underneath him. Huh?!

• Magnum
    Magnum
    It was in the mid-1990s when the Awake! magazine dropped the "1914" statement that I realized something was up. Then, when they changed the definition of "generation" to mean something like "worldly contemporaries" void of some connection to 1914, I began to put things together.

Those goings-on around 1995 are what started to take the wind out of my JW sails.

I never felt "chosen," however. Like most Christians through history, when I read the Christian Scriptures and saw where Jesus promised a heavenly reward to those who followed him, I said "okay." It was that simple.

That makes sense - a lot more so than the claims of many who say they were chosen.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

Thanks for sharing your story. It's interesting to get another view of how people feel when they have "the calling". Of course this "calling" is something that apparently just pops up for some but can be burdensome to others because of the Org's view on new ones.

Over the years a few friends of mine have started to claim they are of this class. Whether they felt something different than the rest of us is highly doubtful. The anointed feel no different than the rest of us professing faith in Christ. That feeling that some "anointed" get can actually be quite deceiving if they are practicing JW's. Satan continues to fool people by turning into an innocent angel.

For example, you yourself say you just felt you were anointed. Yet you did not remain with the JW's. In all honesty, I believe your claim is validated by the fact that you did not remain with a false organization. Still yet, you really are not a special class but rather part of an even bigger body, Christ's body, whom we are all a part of. You just happen to have the holy spirit operating within you when you read the NT and your emotions carry you right along as well. I've felt the same exact thing when I read the NT or view a movie based on Christ and see him suffer.

You are right when you say the scriptures does not teach two different callings. This is the GB's claim to fame and power hold over members beliefs. They practically hang on every word of theirs. Let's cut to the chase. If the GB started to sell their sh** in a bag for $50 lb you would have members sending in orders by the thousands. Members have been, for a lack of a better word, brainwashed to believe anything the GB says or prints. It's not until some event or some notable change takes place that actually strikes a cord within the members mind that the doubting starts and then the house of cards starts to fall apart.

Paul clearly said there's only one baptism, one spirit, one calling, and one Lord over all. I hope that I'm alive when the GB finally gets theirs. God is not stupid and I believe we are starting to see the beginning of the end with those maggots. They are truly evil in the fullest sense of the word. Keep up the good fight my friend.

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

My ex--wives Father claimed to be anointed. Whats interesting, however, is that at the time he was "anointed", he was DF'd. He had been DF'd officially for smoking, but the elders were gunning for him, because he would conduct private studies, and bible discussions, with other witnesses. To the elders, this was a NO NO.

Anyway, he had been DF'd for many years, when his "anointing" happened. He told me that it occurred one night, when he was at his mothers house, and a heavy wind blew off some siding on the house, lol.

To be totally honest, I don't take away what someone feels, but my ex-father in law, would be considered someone who has slight mental problems, to be truthful.

I also knew a brother who was NOT even an MS, and obviously not an elder either. He was a business partner of mine, and out of nowhere, claimed he was anointed. Nobody really questioned him that much, and the brothers in the congregation, didn't give him a hard time for it. They went the way of saying it was between him and Jah.

Now, to be honest again, he also, was kind of a character, too. Not flat out mental issues, like my Vietnam vet, ex-father in law, but more of a socially awkward type person. He had decent business sense, and some other admirable qualities, but he was a bit weird, too.

Anyone I knew personally, that said they were anointed, and was NOT an older, longtime, Bethelite, brother in the "truth" for YEARS, did seem to have mental issues, on the outside. However, I don't judge anyone, and who knows, maybe REALLY being anointed, and stuck in the JW cult, will make you a little nutty. Its not for me to say.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Without exception, every single person I am acquainted with who claimed to be of the "anointed" (Anointed 2.0 -- as in after the original sealing date) were mentally ill, or at least on psychotropic meds for one reason or another, or on "illegal" mind-altering drugs, or just very, very new JWs who thought they were "special" (or narcissistic) because they knew so much from studying so deeply.

BUT, I can see how you could get caught up in bullshit like that because I actually believed that I was going to live forever in Paradise. Which idea is more 'crazy'? Or, maybe WHO is more crazy? You or me?.. . . . . Doc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit