What is Happening to Charity? - Jun 1st 2003 Watchtower

by Simon 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

One word:

hypocrites

• anti-absolutist
    anti-absolutist

A little off topic, but doesn't bluessaphire look hot?!!!!!

Brad

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Thanks for posting that Simon. I saw that magazine on my mom's bookshelf the other day,but didn't dare open it for fear my mom would think I was interested in the "troof" again!

I just love the way they always put a negative spin on things like this. Instead of focusing on all the charities that have helped so many people, they focus on ones that misappropriate funds.It seems to me the main purpose of that article was to give JW's permission to wipe their hands clean of helping others in a monatary way. They can just keep preaching to others and not feel guilty when they don't hand over a dollar or two to help one in need. Sad, very sad.

• undercover
    undercover

I find it interesting that they mention that Jesus and the apostles kept a fund for the poor. Out of all the money that the WTS has, how much is kept in a fund for the poor? It did mention that the WTS set up a relief fund during a disaster. But how much of the WTS money went into it compared to what the fellow witnesses that lived locally put into it?

I do agree that you have to be careful what charities you give to. Many charity drive organizations do keep 50% or more for "administrative" purposes. A little investigation will show what charities are on the up and up. I have learned to give directly to the actual need than give to the collector who calls on the phone. But this article put such a negative spin on it that it discourages the reader from giving anything to anyone outside of fellow believers.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Isn't it amazing how when you were in the borg, you would read that, believe it, and give yourself a pat on the back, because you fit that description of a " charitable person "

Now it nauseates you, and makes your blood boil.

Good come back line to Big Tex.

That picture with the caption " Our preaching the good news pleases god and opens the way to everlasting benefits " Is that women attempting to pay for food with the mags, kinda like a barter....you know physical food for spiritual food, or are they just going to use the mags to wrap the food in.

Notice they show that scenario, in a foreign country, with an open market. Like to see jws try that at their local Safeway or A & P supermarket !

• Dawn
    Dawn

Interesting article and comments.

I remember so often the reasoning that the "truth" is the only thing that can help - and is the only thing worth giving. blah.......

Why not give both life-giving truth AND necessities?! A hungry person would probably be more apt to listen to the good news once they have been fed. Even Jesus recognized that we have needs other than spiritual ones, just look at the miracles he performed when he fed 5,000+ hungry people.

In all honesty though - I don't think it is that the average JW is uncharitable on purpose. Looking back on my past I was never taught about the good things that charities did, I was never shown the hungry children that were fed, or the medical supplies shipped to needy countires. Because I did not know I just didn't think about it. Service and Meetings was the only focus. The new church I attend is very big on outreach and charities - once I realized the need of so many people, and what could be accomplished through giving, I became a much more charitable person. I believe this would be the case with most people regardless of their religion - if they could just see the need and if it touched their heart then they would give.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Thanks for posting, Simon. I must show this to Mrs Ozzie; I know she'll be very interested.

I s'pose they felt they needed to have something in print since they are a registered charity in the UK? (for tax purposes of course)!!!

Cheers, Ozzie

• JUSTAMOM
    JUSTAMOM

OoooH NO!

You WTBS society have a lot of nerve "you hypocrites and offspring of vipers"

You otta at least say your in the game. CHARITABLE GIVING!

Instead of letting them answer for their own error or sin in how they misuse money given, you need to SERIOUSLY look in the mirror. You NEVER do charitable anything unless it is for persoanl gain. Not speaking on an individual level which is how it should be anyways...but as a whole you are wicked!!!

Your charitable giving is helping those within that make all the meetings and put in enough time in fieldservice, or handing them a WT. and say... this will feed you spirtually, you don't need to be fed physically. Exhaust ALL the worldly ways (which is bad association and worldly) to receive aid before you bother your brothers and sisters. Ya...pick and choose when its advantageous to use the world to the full or not.

Even Jesus FED physically the multitude before giving his sermon on the mount. Full knowing that a vast were there ONLY for the free meal and left during his sermon.

His motive was not, "I'll provide for you physically only if you follow me spiritually." (Come to meetings etc)

So is the June 15th WT on the kind of giving Jah wants gonna say, "Planned giving and charitable ways to contribute" and then lead sheep into signing over their real estate and property and wills over to you, the WTBS and give them the forwarding address!?"

YOUR GOOD AT THAT!

Keep storing up your treasures here on earth where moth and rust consume!

WHY NOT!!! This IS where you plan on "living forever" isn't it?

JUST A THOUGHT or TWO or THREE

JUSTAMOM (Kim)

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Kim,

An excellent post and oh so true! Reminds me of the scripture where the Pharisee's say....."Keep warm and well fed" as they go about their self serving business and ignore the real needs of people.

How convenient!

• jws
    jws

What a load of crap. First, money given to charities may not all go to help the needy and/or it might be stolen or misappropriated. So the lesson is don't trust them and don't give your money to them. Save it. We'll get to what you can do with it later. And money isn't the only way to help. In other words, don't don't give your money to them. Help by donating time if you need to, but not money. If you have money, be like Mary Magdaline and support the preaching work. A great way to do this is by dropping it in the contribution box in your Kingdom Hall. And help others, but only if they're JWs. But the best way you can give is to go out and convert people, who in turn can give their extra money at the Kingdom Hall too.

All to pacify the average JW that the organizational mindset of not being charitable is OK.

As a kid, I remember participating in different charties at school like giving dimes to the march of dimes or giving money to United Way. Our parents were OK with it, but not exactly encouraging and they didn't want us to tell others at the hall about us donating to these things. Although I think I remember them being a little upset about the United Way donations because some of those funds went to church charity projects (wow, a church organizing charity for non-members!).

Why aren't they more charitable? What about caring for the sick and helping others in a non-monetary way? Well, that takes time and we all have our own lives to live too. And with 3 meetings/week, study time, and field service requirements, a good percentage of our waking, non-work lives is already used up. What time is left? And since charity only counts on your time sheet if you help non-baptised ones and manage to preach to them while doing it, there's no incentive. Help others or be nagged on for not keeping your field service hours up? Unfortunately, many choose field service. This article pacifies their consciences that this is somehow charitable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit