'Kingdom of God's birth in heaven in 1914' - first reference?

by EdenOne 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Can someone tell me please when was the first time that the WTS published something to the effect that the Kingdom of God was born in heavens in 1914 / Jesus enthroned invisibly in 1914 ? I see an obscure reference to an article in a Golden Age magazine in 1930 but I can't find the actual quote,

Not looking for quotes that talk about the "coming" or "presence" since 1914. I'm looking for actual mention that the kingdom started in heavens in 1914. When was the first ever time this was clearly said in the publications? (replacing the "old light" of 1874)

Thanks

Eden

• bats in the belfry
    bats in the belfry

The earliest references I came across, so far:

wt 1927, August 1, page 230

>

>

wt 1928, September 1, page 260

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Babylon book I believe says it was in 1920 they discerned the good news of God's kingdom as established in the heavens in 1914 (A.D.) was to be preached in fulfillment of Matthew 24:14. and quotes the July 1st 1920 Watchtower

• snowbird
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

Well, I stumbled on an actual quote from that 1930 article in the Golden Age. It reads:

"If it's true that Jesus has been present since the year 1914 then it must be admitted that nobody has seen him with his natural eyes"

I can't read the broader context of the article, it seems ambiguous. it can either be part of an apology or a rebuttal.

In any case, the same Golden Age magazine, in 1934, p.379, 380 is clear:

"(...) An examination of the scriptures containing the word parousia shows that the presence of the Lord could not date prior to 1914"

However, there seems to have been another reversal, for 3 years later in the book The Harp Of God, they go back to 1874:

"Applying the same rule, then, of a day per a year, 1355 days after 539 AD brings us to 1874 AD, at which time, according to Biblical chronology, the Lord's second presence is due" and "It was in the year 1874, the date of our Lord's second presence (...) - The Harp Of God (1937) p.235, 240

THEN, in 1943, with the book "The Truth Shall make You Free", it appears that the definitive (well....not quite definite as it seems now) change to 1914 was made.

Eden

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Bats in the belfry,

That bit seems to point to an article in a 1925 magazine. I'll try to locate it.

In any case I think we're looking at another case of multiple reversal of doctrine.

Eden

• Giles Gray
    Giles Gray

EdenOne

I thought The Harp Of God came out with the first edition in 1921 (of which I am the proud owner of) and the second edition in 1928?

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

Hi EdenOne,

Your post got me to looking at two editions of The Harp of God, 1927 and 1928. Although some great changes* took place between these two editions they both have a chapter entitled Our Lord's Return, and both agree on 1874 as the time of Christs return and contain chronology calculations on how that number is arrived at.

You mentioned a reversal in Watchtower understanding of Christ's return, at first being 1874, then 1914, then going back to 1874. I wonder if this perception is simply based on a typo of the publication date of The Harp of God. Your quote below says 1937, but I wonder if Harp of God was still being published in 1937. It was a book from 1921 thru at least 1928, but would Watchtower have moved on to other books by 1937?

However, there seems to have been another reversal, for 3 years later in the book The Harp Of God, they go back to 1874:

"Applying the same rule, then, of a day per a year, 1355 days after 539 AD brings us to 1874 AD, at which time, according to Biblical chronology, the Lord's second presence is due" and "It was in the year 1874, the date of our Lord's second presence (...) - The Harp Of God (1937) p.235, 240

I couldn't find the exact quote above in either of my editions on p. 235 or 240 (but it may be somewhere in that chapter), although there was some 1874 information on p. 235 of the 1927 edition and the same information is on p. 240 of the 1928 edition.

Scans:

For a smile notice the list of things that proved we were in the presence of Christ since 1874. We had inventions and developments such as typewriters, artificial dyes, and the Panama Canal. It's quite a list. Such enlightenments proved Christ had to be present. Such was the silly thinking of JWs then, but today they have moved on to different silly thinking

*The changes from the 1927 and 1928 editions of The Harp of God included...

1) The subtitle, "Proof Conclusive That Millions Now Living Will Never Die," was dropped.

2) Information saying that Charles Taze Russell was the Faithful and Discreet Slave (Faithful and Wise Servant) was removed from the 1928 edition.

“Without a doubt Pastor Russell filled the office…and was therefore that wise and faithful servant, ministering to the household of faith meat in due season.” (The Harp of God 1927 p. 239, par. 420)

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Hi SV and thank you for clearing this up.

It seems to me that the "1937" reference that I have found to the date of the Harp of God may have been a typo and was intended to be "1927" (the actual date for the publication of the book). I should have double-checked. In that case there wasn't a reversal in 1937.

I stand corrected.

EdenOne

• bennyk
    bennyk

The Society had previously taught that Jesus was enthroned in 1878.

The article "Birth of the Nation" in the 01. March 1925 Watch Tower may have been the first such reference to the Birth of the Messianic Kingdom and Jesus' enthronement in 1914. The WTS continued to teach that the Second Presence began in 1874 until the early Thirties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit