HQ must be paying Google to get the top hits

by nonjwspouse 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

jookbeard: what he suggested was completely contradicted and refuted.

I kinda believe my post above actually proves it.

A search for just the initials jw would appear to be a simple way for the R&F to locate the official WT website - it is the top result - without having opposiing websites, or inserted news items and tweets (which are generally anti-JW) show up in the results.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Ultimately you can't pay Google to get the top hits anyway, unless we're talking ads that were purchased. It's a matter of them being the official site and search engine optimization. It makes sense for them to rank highest. Google has algorithms that control search results, including some personalization.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    I typed into google jehovahs-witness and the first four hits were borg sites. This site was not even on the first page

And? It's a common practice for organizations, companies and people, as well as the media, to pay for search engine optimization services. There are companies dedicated to that, and Google has nothing to do with any of it.

Also, your search results may be influenced by websites the you yourself have visited, and the WT has nothing to do with any of it.

• zeb
    zeb

Non jw spouse. What is " incognito mode" please.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

They can pay google to be first but these sites usually are listed as ad sites.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

When I typed in Jehovah`s witnesses ,the first 3 were Jw.org then Wikepedia and next was this site and after that the next 5 were anti JW sites all on the first page.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

I've noticed a similar tend when searching for specific ideas and phrases (even ones that are not JW specific)

I have also found evidence of their SEO tactics when the whole Russia thing was happening. Yes they are paying services to get then listed first, even using black hat methodologies (like articles in online African news papers and lots of other funny places that link back to their Russia articles on jw-dot-org)

I also use incognito mode, which basically keeps Google from knowing "who" you are, or associating your long term browsing history with your current session. One thing especially for mobile users to remember though is that your cookies (tracking) is still there until you close the browser so if you just got done binge reading on the jw site, your next search on a scriptural topic may still show the jw site at the top of the Google results, if you have not closed the browser first.

It also helps their online authority when sites like this have a massive amount of links to various jw org pages which is why I try to make sure not to type the jw . org site here because it tends to auto-link on this forum.

But yes, OP is absolutely right about the shenanigans, even if they are a little off, since they are not actually paying Google.

The link below (moz.com) is long but it shows you some of the nonsense links the bORG has acquired, including to online newswires and other places that are only for ranking higher.

https://moz.com/researchtools/ose/links?site=Jw.org&filter=&source=external&target=page&group=0&page=1&sort=page_authority

• steve2
    steve2

Doesn't google openly acknowledge that major domain holders get first ranking? When I google my bank, for example, it invariably comes up first, with all the advertising about it and reviews of it coming up well down the list?

• oppostate
    oppostate

nonjwspouse

WTH are you taking about?

About The Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry

CARM is a 501(c)3, non-profit, Christian ministry dedicated to the glory of the Lord Jesus Christ and the promotion and defense of the Christian Gospel, doctrine, and theology. To do this, CARM analyzes religious and non-religious movements and compares them to the Bible. We examine abortion, atheism, evolution, Islam, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormonism, relativism, Roman Catholicism, Wicca, universalism, (and more), along with Christian preachers and teachers. In all our analyses we use the Bible as the final standard of truth in order to defend and promote Christianity. Please consider checking out our statement of faith -

• compound complex
    compound complex
    1. Trouble formatting

On my search page, Richard Dawkins came up first. JW.org was third.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit