Any African in here?

by sankara23 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sankara23
    sankara23

Hello guys, i've been an off and on reader of the various discussion threads here. I'm Sankara (obviously not my real name), a third generation born-in, currently an M.S, and yeah, writing from Nigeria. Discovered TTATT a couple of years back while I was in college. Prior to that I started having real doubts on the organization when I turned 16, a lot said at the meetings made little logical sense. It's a lot more difficult fading or worst still dropping a dissociation letter down here. It's very conservative here, our whole life basically revolves around family, that's your primary identity, the shunning practice takes a heavy toll on everyday life. Aside that 99% of the people believe in some sort of religious worship, coming off as an Agnostic makes me look slightly retarded at best.

The WTBTS sees this continent as its new frontier, there's so much poverty, illiteracy and general suffering, everybody looks to "God" for succor. Obviously the Perfect hunting ground for the watchtower to peddle it's illusion. The year book growth rates may not look so favorable in North America and Europe but it will certainly be on a continuous rise here - in the foreseeable future.

I'm 23 and still plotting the perfect exit, it's almost embarrassing. Hope there's someone here who can relate.

• Sabin
    Sabin

Sankara23, Hello I`m SABIN, it`s a pleasure to meet you. we are from all over on the forum but you are the 1st Nigerian I have personally known about. Exciting. Thank you for sharing what is happening in your part of the world with us, & sorry you are having such a hard time being able to make a life of your own. Look forward to reading your posts in the future.

• quincemyles
    quincemyles
    Hi Sankara. I'm from Zambia, Just stopped attending meetings. I have had several meetings with elders on my fade. Last Sunday was the last time I met them. As I met them, I took with me the book "you can live forever on a paradise earth" and showed them page 154 paragraph 8 and the illustration on that page which promotes the teaching that some of those living in 1914 will not die until they enter the new system of things. I then asked them a simple question: "Is the information on this page true or false?" They knew it was false but they deliberately could not say it! They started talking about how the light gets brighter. I said:"Gentlemen, my question is not on light, my question is on whether that statement is true or not." As anticipated, their office of elder just couldn't afford them the freedom to say it was false. If they did, then they would be admitting that their source of information the FDS/G.B printed 18 million copies of toxic information and are party to that. I stressed on how such misinformation negatively affects lives like mine. The meeting concluded with them stressing that I continue attending meetings despite the misinformation I would be subjected to on the 1914 king Jesus and his Father. My Jesus became king in 33 C.E. I find it unbearable lately to see the recitals of 1914 and the attachment of Jesus to that falsehood. I find the men that perpetuate these toxic teachings to be very unkind to the rank and file. TATT will take time here in Africa as many of the JWS here are convinced that applying critical thinking to the teachings of the G.B is a sin. The relatively low levels of education in this part of the world means religion will reign supreme regardless of the quality of the religions. The enlightened are conditioned into thinking that questioning the history of the FDS and independent thinking are a first step to being Satan like, to be apostate, so many choose to follow blindly regardless of being in the information age and having the mental skills necessary to know the watchtower society for what it is, a purely human institution with religious leanings. On a positive note, i would want to say for many here, having some kind of organized religion has been better than not. Only when many begin to really care more about truth will the jw belief system become toxic to them, as it has to me.
  • Magnum
    Magnum

Hey! Welcome! I'm in the U.S. I remember one or two Africans coming on here in the past. I think there is a South African on here now. I didn't know quincemyles was African. Very interesting posts from both of you.

sankara23: The WTBTS sees this continent as its new frontier, there's so much poverty, illiteracy and general suffering, everybody looks to "God" for succor. Obviously the Perfect hunting ground for the watchtower to peddle it's illusion. The year book growth rates may not look so favorable in North America and Europe but it will certainly be on a continuous rise here - in the foreseeable future.

We've been suspecting that for a while on this forum. Nice to get the confirmation from you.

Please stay on the forum. You could keep us filled in on what's going on in your part of the world.

Also, we understand your pain. Many of us have our own family members thinking we're evil and/or weak and/or stupid and/or crazy.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Welcome Sankara23 I am a mentally diseased Agnostic North American Ex Witness from Canada. In your post you say that family plays a big role in every day life were you are from. That's a good thing and it's as it should be and therein lies the WTBTS's Achilles heel in Africa. At least I hope.

All the people in Africa have to do is research the vast history of close familial bonds that have prospered in the rest of the world under the watchful guidance of the WTBTS and they will see for themselves what a loving christian organization it really is. (sarcasm intended) Education on such matters used to be expensive in more ways than one but now days with the proliferation of the world wide web it's getting cheaper all the time.

So take heart and don't worry about looking weird as an agnostic but at the same time be cautious and welcome your among friends here.

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

Welcome Sankara23

I understand the frustration, you are not alone.

The relatively low levels of education in this part of the world means religion will reign supreme regardless of the quality of the religions.

Unfortunately the indoctrination of the WT's false teachings penetrate all levels of education. We are unique because truth was more important to us.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/502830003/whats-deal-all-smart-educated-jws

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Welcome. We here in the U.S. have noticed the growth slow down no matter how many hours are spent in field service, people are just more aware of things, the internet is everywhere, they are not getting new recruits, except in the foreign language congregations.

We have noticed growth still continues in areas that don't have as much access to the internet and higher education.

Don't be discouraged, maybe you can be helpful into letting interested people know that the Watchtower is not what they claim. You may not be able to do so openly, but a well placed letter to bible studies to make them aware of the lies the Watchtower tells might do a lot of good.

You could be the double agent/spy.

• sankara23
    sankara23
    Thanks for sharing your story
    quincemyles. That certainly took a lot of courage. I absolutely don't care what the local body of elders and publishers think about my views. I would ideally walk out without so much as an explanation. But every single relative I have is JW - nuclear and extended. They are mostly good people, trying to live decent lives. Attempting to wake them up is futile, they are like conservative JW's, hardliners, their indoctrination was on a different level. The Jw community in my city looks up the family as the perfect role model, and I will ruin that. My Mom even called me selfish when I tired talking about an exit. So i've been thinking of moving to a different city and fading.
  • sankara23
    sankara23
    I totally agree with you
    John Aquila higher education in itself isn't going to make anyone quit this organization by default.
    However it certainly improves critical thinking skills which can be applied to the JW doctrinal analysis. In my personal observation most people with little or no university education come back to the watchtower or join another religious movement few years after their JW exit.
    Proper education helps to see the world events beyond religious dogma.
  • sankara23
    sankara23
    Once again, thanks all for welcoming me. I'll keep you guys posted with the happenings from this end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit