The Security of Following Rules

by minimus 10 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I think many people feel secure with an abundance of rules. They enjoy being told what to do, how to think. It makes them feel safe. We see it with many Jehovah’s Witnesses as well as in many political circles.

Thankfully, most of us know that enjoying independence is a good thing, not a negative.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Enjoying true freedom of thought AND action is a joy. Of course, any freedom comes with responsibility, but I am happy with those rules, which boil down to " Don't use your freedom to be a Dick", simple, nothing more needs to be said !

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Phizzy, sometimes you do need to be a dick. Freedom is an absolute, if you don't want someone to leverage their freedom to be a dick then you are talking about oppressing people that are dicks and you promote a committee of sorts to decide who fits in that category.

The Bill of Rights including the First, Second and other amendments are absolute. There is no room for interpretation in the text, anyone that cannot have a textualist/originalist view of those freedoms established are petty authoritarians.

• minimus
    minimus

Independence is what separates us from being sheeple.

• Steel
    Steel

In a free society rights don't exist without first acknowledging your responsibilities as a citizen.

• Steel
    Steel

Taiwan

Population 22 Million People

625 Cases

555 Recovered

7 Deaths

Population Density 673 People per Sq km

Not bad for a bunch of sheepe.

How is the United States doing ??

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Following rules does make us feel secure.

But the real question is how many rules are we following?

I live in Britain and obey British law. This isn't particularly oppressive and it kinda makes me feel secure (I don't crap myself if I see the police because I'm not doing anything wrong).

But what about all the WT rules? These are ridiculous - there are too many of them, for a start, lol.

It's no fun being a little hamster on the WT wheel that never stops spinning

• Overrated
    Overrated

Watchtower imposes too many rules on it's followers that makes it hard for self expression and self improvement. Only by their standards that benefit the Org. Not the follower.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

It’s too bad when people exchange the use of their own brain because they feel there is ‘security in following rules’.

Years ago I saw a post on the forum that made an impression on me.

Even though I don’t remember exactly what it said..it was along the lines of ‘living in a country where people fought for freedoms and why would anybody enslave themselves to something, etc., etc.’

When you think about it along these lines it’s really ludicrous what people have become accustomed to tolerating when they should just get up and walk out.

• minimus
    minimus

Some rules are quite reasonable. Others are very man made. Some are whims of the powers that be.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit