Richard Carrier debunks Christianity using Science and History.

by Island Man 62 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bohm
    bohm
    Sbf-- you got to read rusesell in context, he is very symphatic to the British enlightenment over Continental philosophy
  • bohm
    bohm
    i got to say my view of carrier has grown a bit dim in recent years, he sometimes say wrong things and appear to be quite guided by a need to win debates than following the evidence
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    In context? I try not to read Bertrand Russell at all.
  • bohm
    bohm
    Then why quote him?
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    In the spirit of, "here look, even one of your guys recognises this..."
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I don't know what to make of this, because Carrier does come across as a creep, always has done, but his accusers also come across as shrill haters.

https://theyetisroar.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/dr-richard-carrier-phd-a-creepy-dishonest-hypocrite/

But I love his mythicism. I think it will have its day.

• bohm
    bohm

Sbf: but then if i point out i agree with nearly everything BR has said and that quote is misleading in isolation your just gonna shrug and go: so what, guy cant be trusted?

I realize your partly yanking our chains, but come on. I bet even rorty has said the earths round or some other crazy thing :-)

• bohm
    bohm

Is that for real?? Did he really say that?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Who say what?

I could only fault Rorty in that he occasionally made concessions to people who thought his relativism too radical.

How about dealing with the fact that empiricism is self-refuting rather than going round and round with Bertrand Russell.

• bohm
    bohm

But do you KNOW he made consessions?

empiricism is self-refuting as a general statement about all knowledge. This does not mean we cant use our senses to revise and inform our beliefs about the world, which is the important part. For instance, did you use your senses in the process of arriving to the conclusion rorty made consessions?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit