Are quality restaurants even slightly aware of the concept..

by The Rebel 20 Replies latest jw friends

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

of providing high quality food?

Personally I prefer the small restaurants with a owner who cooks the food. Often the food is equally imaginative and just as tasty as the more expensive restaurant. Sorry for the gripe, but yesterday evening I had to take out a second mortgage at an expensive restaurant, only to leave the gristle on the side of my plate.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

I found almost without fail, it is the house converted to restaurant, experienced native to the country owner cooking, low to no advertising, that excel in the best food. We have a greek restaurant that has NO SEATING, owned by two greek brothers, operating out of a converted sno cone stand that is supurb. Word of mouth has that place hopping. An Italian restaurant owned by a native italian chef that is run by his family, wife and kids serving, that is the best around.

• Listener
    Listener

Researching restaurants on places like Tripadvisor can be helpful.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

A family opened a Cuban/Peruvian restaurant in a strip mall. The grandmother was doing the cooking and everything was so good, we were there at least twice a month.

One day the daughter told us her mother was at the hospital with heart problems. She came back for awhile but then things just went downhill. The last time we were there the chicken wasn't cooked enough. We don't want to go back any more.

Running a restaurant is such a difficult biz and the profit margin on food is small.

• millie210
    millie210

So many U.S. restaurants are really just clearing houses for Cisco. The food comes off the truck, gets re heated or reconstituted, put on a pretty platter and served.

This is especially true of desserts. Very few places make a dessert in house anymore.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

And the sad thing was, because I told the waitress the food was crap, my wife got pissed off and wasn't talking to me this morning. O.K to be fair the desert was well baked let's leave it there...and I will try to make amends with my wife after work today.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Yeah you never know what you're gonna get - a restaurant is pretty much just taking a chance.

• millie210
    millie210

Sysco not Cisco...just in case anyone wants to order their food directly from there LOL

rebel, it sounds like flowers might be in order.....or a nice little hand written note.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Millie I think the hand written note is all I can afford after that meal, unless I take fresh flowers from the graveyard. I wouldn't, would I? Ummmmm, I am thinking about it....to be continued.

• blondie
    blondie

It starts at home....packaged, canned, frozen food preparation, also carry out, and now the delivered to your door for you to cook meals.

I watch House Hunters and people want the big kitchen with gas commercial stove, huge refrigerator, granite counters but no one cooks in the family. It is just a show background for family gatherings one or twice a year. Otherwise everything is microwaved. And they laugh about it.

I have found that many young women and men don't know how to shop for food, read and execute a recipe, develop a quick and easy menu for the week, and feel even if they did they have no time to do it. Better to drink smoothies.

I know there are exceptions but I started as a sous chef at home at 10, cooking the whole meal every day at 13 when my mother starting working full-time. My brothers learned too.

Now that I am retired I am thinking of starting a small cooking class to teach the generations after me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit