I got a Sympathy Card in the mail

by Butterfly607 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Butterfly607
    Butterfly607

I haven’t been to a meeting in months. Just got a sympathy card in the mail from a “sister”. I don’t know her beyond her face. It really annoyed me. Why assume I’m “going through” something bad without asking me first? I’ve been feeling great! I feel like telling her how peaceful and happy I’ve been. But maybe I should just leave her alone.

• Simon
    Simon

Who knows what they have been told about you and why you haven't been there? It could be a response to that, something you don't know.

To me, it looks like someone trying to offer a kind word and help based on their view of reality so I can't see what there is to be angry about.

• Ding
    Ding

If you're trying to fade, it's probably best not to respond.

If you respond with anger, you might end up in front of a JC.

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

I understand why this may be annoying.

You can see that someone that doesn't really know you are reaching out to tell you that your life currently sucks. Then they come at you with some real good cult speak.

Seeing "put it all on Jehovah" in print makes me angry every time I see it. This means, turn your brain off, stop thinking about all that is wrong with the organization. It's similar to the cult programming phrase "listen, obey, and be blessed". It's the do what you're told, shut up and get over it sentiment. Tell Jehovah in prayer what bothers you about his organization, then put your head back down and continue sacrificing the one life you have for it.

A nice lady sent you this, but as red riding hood says: "Nice is different than good."

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

She doesn't sound angry to me Simon, but you do bring up a good point:

what they have been told about you

The way the gossip machine goes it could be anything under the sun. OR it could just be the natural JW assumption that if you're inactive you must be stumbled or depressed, because there's no other logical reason.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

you could write and thank her profusely--explain youve been having a really tough time..and ask if she could help you out with a loan to get you through it.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Their thoughts: "You CAN NOT possibly be happy without being Jehovah's earthly organization. We have been told that NO ONE can possibly have a happy life." When you have had this crap drilled into your brain all of your life, how can you possibly understand.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

They might have had a part on the meeting about encouraging those you don't see at the meetings. She doesn't want to imply you are "bad" and maybe she's had stresses too so she took the "she must be having troubles" route. Or she's doing for the brownie points. I wouldn't stress over it. Only if she shows up at your door with an elder to "help" you would I be annoyed.

• sickandtired
    sickandtired

She’s doing this probably because she is concerned about you. I would ignore it and if you happen to see or talk to her just tell her you appreciate the card and you’re doing fine. 🙂. I don’t blame you for being annoyed though. I would be too.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

YES DONT RESPOND!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit