Mormon Church accused of stockpiling billions, avoiding paying taxes

by iwantoutnow 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

Wonder if the WT is doing the same!!!!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/18/us/latter-day-saints-charity-funds-complaint/index.html

Just part of the article.

(CNN)The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly referred to as the Mormon Church, responded Tuesday to a recently-filed whistleblower complaint that accuses the church of stockpiling $100 billion in accounts intended for charitable works, misleading members and avoiding paying taxes.

A whistleblower alleges in the complaint, filed with the IRS, that billions of dollars collected in tithes -- mandatory donations by members -- were invested in an investment arm of the church -- Ensign Peak Advisors — but in 22 years, has not been distributed to charitable causes in accordance with IRS rules, according to a report in the Washington Post.
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I don’t believe it. Those old white guys in charge look totally trustworthy.

DD

• carla
    carla

Would be nice if a reporter dug into the jw's too!

• JannyG
    JannyG

I wonder if any investigation will happen?

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

So much negative press these days, maybe it will?
    I hope!

I am sure we all know that the WT is NOT paying back Ceasers things to Ceaser.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

All religious organizations are the 'pot of gold at the end of the rainbow'. Tell the faithful that god needs their money and they close their logical brains and open their wallets.

It will be a great day when religion starts paying taxes.

just saying!

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

It's all about money. WTS is a professional corporation when it has to do with $$$.

G.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

The ex-mo community will be going to town on this one. Tithing and the appropriation of money is a real bone of contention with them,

• wannabefree
    wannabefree
    In my opinion, exactly why the organization doesn't want donations earmarked for a specific cause. All should be donated to the Worldwide Work™ and let them decide what work needs the funds.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "Mormon Church accused of stockpiling billions, avoiding paying taxes..."

Gosh, never saw that coming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit