Who loves bikes?

by JRK 24 Replies latest social entertainment

• bohm
    bohm

In defense of bicycles they are cheap, require little or no repair, they are no hassle to park and you get exercise and a chance to relax going to and from work. Plus, you can drive them while drunk. For everything within a 10-15 km radius a bicycle is very hard to beat!.

plus I have noticed that whenever motorcycles come up people always chime in with lines that begin like: "And they are not that dangerous, I have only been nearly killed once/twice/going to work this morning..."

• mrquik
    mrquik

I've owned bikes since I was 18. Bought a brand new 1973 Yamaha 650. Took her to Mexico & the west coast. Good dependable bike. I was the service manager at a Chevrolet - Olds Kawasaki dealer. We had an 1100 as a company bike. A great bike. Beat the piss out of a number of Hondas; just can't kill them. Have owned a number of Harley- Davidsons & currently ride a 2015 Road Glide. (License plate is MRQUIK) It has a display that you have to be an electrical engineer to figure out. Top speed on any bike was 142 MPH. Too old to do that crap any more....

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

My last road bike was a Norton 850 Commando, late 1970's , early 80's, was the coolest looking bike at the time. Just about dropped it a couple times riding due one incident of riding over a newly painted cross walk in the rain and another when a German Shepard attacked me while riding.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I bought a 1200cc Suzuki Bandit as a birthday present for myself when I escaped the Borg. 90 MPH in second gear and still plenty of acceleration left. I took it to full speed just a touch below 150mph just once but travelled many miles on deserted southern French roads at night at 120. Effortless power is a joy. I loved riding in storms and taking the bike to the limit of lean.

On a bike I often think of the line of GM Hopkins in his famous poem The Windhover, "as a skate's heel sweeps smooth on a bow bend: the hurl and gliding".

@ Finky, I always wanted an 850 Norton Commando and still think its a desirable bike.

• Simon
    Simon

I would love a bike .... but then I also love being alive and since I'm in Calgary, Alberta, with THE worst drivers ever it simply would just be a case of "when".

• Landy
    Landy
    I would love a bike .... but then I also love being alive and since I'm in Calgary, Alberta, with THE worst drivers ever it simply would just be a case of "when".

Not necessarily, there's lots of motorcyclists in canada and they're not all deaded.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I never owned a motorcycle, but have a bicycle. I am sure the motorized one is more fun, but I just never had one. Bicycles must be pretty fun too, because they are stolen left and right. I have multiple locks and never leave mine unlocked except while riding it.

• Simon
    Simon
    Not necessarily, there's lots of motorcyclists in canada and they're not all deaded.

That sentence is just missing a "... yet".

I know a lot of it is like driving - you can increase your own safety be being aware etc... I've been driving many many years and never had so much as a scrape (well, erm, that pedestrian that time doesn't count because they ran into me, LOL).

But the trouble with a bike is that if some douche does something stupid, you will always come off worse. Even being in a group of riders doesn't seem to help - some idiot decided to do a U-turn in front of some recently. Too many idiot car and truck drivers that ruin things.

Bikes are for young people, who haven't yet developed a healthy sense of self-preservation.

• JRK
    JRK

Norton = Class.

• Tallon
    Tallon

@ Simon

I rode bikes for about 10 years and it was a blast. I agree that you have more protection in a car than on a bike should you be involved in an accident however, don't let that put you off. If you haven't already done so, then I would encourage you to have a go at riding a bike.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit